Slingshot not connecting

tomg

RV9-A, O-320, Dual Dynon Skyview, ADSB
Checked the forums and don't see anything posted about this. Updated the Dynon firmware to test out the Slingshot Wifi update functionality. Followed the instructions in the online video post by Dynon & Seattle Avionics. Turned on Slingshot capability on my Iphone. I then went into the Skyview setup page and it hangs on searching for the device. I was successfully connected to the Skyview WiFi adapter through my phone. I have a dual Skyview 10" classic setups with dual Dynon Wifi Adapters and dual USB sticks. The USB stick has previously installed Seattle Avionics charts from the PC update program from the last published cycle.

Seems simple enough but no success. Has anyone else tried this yet and are you having better luck connecting ?

n28et

I love flying!
Same issue. Followed instructions and no joy. I get the message “Looking for devise.”

Dynon Support please advise. Thank you.

Rhino

Not sure if this is the problem, but recent iOS updates have caused other similar problems. Go into Settings > Privacy > Local Network and make sure it's enabled for the application you're using. Worth a shot.

cjohngraham

I love flying!
I had the same issue on my first attempt--SV couldn't find my iPad. Second try days later worked as advertised. I may have done an iOS update in the interim, don't recall.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking into this, I am seeing the same thing on mine and have been unable to get it to connect.
It did work previously, but something has changed. My IOS was the same as was software on the SkyView, which only leaves
Seattle Avionics. I have reached out to them to see if they could help, but probably won't know until next week.

Maidna@comcast.net

I love flying!
Another data point here...Skyview hangs on "Looking for device...".

I wonder if the thumb drive has to have a folder called "Dynon" as was the case for downloading SA chart data on a PC?

Was running iOS 15.1.1 and SA FlyQ 6.0.1 on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I'll try again with iOS 15.2 and FlyQ 6.0.2, and a "Dynon"-ed thumb drive tomorrow.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Another data point here...Skyview hangs on "Looking for device...".

I wonder if the thumb drive has to have a folder called "Dynon" as was the case for downloading SA chart data on a PC?

Was running iOS 15.1.1 and SA FlyQ 6.0.1 on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I'll try again with iOS 15.2 and FlyQ 6.0.2, and a "Dynon"-ed thumb drive tomorrow.
That isn't the issue, I had a fully configured thumb drive with SA charts already stored on the drive, still said Looking for device. Something got changed and pretty sure it wasn't on our side. 16.2.4 has been locked down for a couple of months and I had it working previously.

Rhino

Last update to FlyQ EFB (6.0.2) was released two months ago, but you'd have to check individual devices to see when they actually installed the update. The update did include a fix for connectivity issues with Avidyne products, so it's conceivable they made a change that could possibly affect Dynon connectivity.

Last edited:

n144sh

I love flying!
Sounds like Seattle Avionics Slingshot is just as robust and reliable as their Data Manager. :rolleyes:

Maidna@comcast.net

I love flying!
That isn't the issue, I had a fully configured thumb drive with SA charts already stored on the drive
Concur...still "Looking for device" with iOS 15.2, FlyQ 6.0.2 and a thumb drive prepped for Data Mangler or not makes no difference.

porterjames

I love flying!
I received a pre-release copy of the software from Dynon in November and tried Slingshot using my IPad. No problems other than the complete update took a little over an hour. About the same amount of time to do my USB's at home.
My IPad just had another firmware update and I haven't tried to connect since.

n144sh

I love flying!
An hour to update! As a comparison Garmin 175 takes a few minutes, Avidyne IFD540 takes 5 minutes or so. An hour with plane on ground power - rather just do the USB's at home on the computer thanks.

PilotMelch

An hour to update! As a comparison Garmin 175 takes a few minutes, Avidyne IFD540 takes 5 minutes or so. An hour with plane on ground power - rather just do the USB's at home on the computer thanks.
I think you're comparing apples to oranges with the 175. Updating the 175 is correlative to updating the Dynon databases. Updating the charts, plates, etc. from Seattle Avionics is adding in hi-resolution images of all of those things, which the 175 does not utilize. Also, a complete update with Nav data, charts, plates, etc. on the IFD540 takes about the same amount of time, 25-30 mins per panel. I suspect you're only updating the Nav data if only 5 mins.

A better comparison to updating the Seattle Avionics charts and plates databases might be to updating the Garmin G3X panels with the same information. I do that regularly as well on multiple planes, and it takes a good 25 minutes each panel (50 mins total for dual panels), and that is from an SD card, not over WiFi.

Honestly, I think the Seattle Avionics Database Manager gets an over-amount of bad press still. Yes, it used to be problematic, but I personally haven't had a single issue with it at all for at least 3+ years. And I run it on a couple of different computers and regularly update multiple planes. If you're having issues, I wonder if you've updated the database manager lately? Do you "eject" the thumb drives when done, or just yank them out as I've watched so many people do? Slingshot will be nice, but there may be some bugs to work out. It introduces all the variables with the iPad and its Apple updates in the mix too.

My experience with Garmin's system for updating databases is that for some devices, like the 796 portable that connects directly to your computer, it is pretty streamlined. The G3X's and other panel units, copying to an SD card, are not so streamlined. There are other components in the mix that need to work perfectly, namely the SD card, its format, what it already has on it, and if it stays mounted through the web page selection and on into the application you install that actually downloads and copies the files onto the SD card. If it has any problems at all you have to start over. If you start over, it gets confused as to what you have already done, not done, what it did, what was there, etc. It's best to just download and install everything in that case, even databases you know were up to date before you started.

Compare that to Seattle Avionics Database Manager. All I do is put both USB thumb drives into the PC and it automatically updates them with whatever needs updating. I don't even have to wait for it to download the databases as that will have already been done in the background. Then I just plug them into the Dynon's in the panel. Done. Honestly, this has worked for me without any hiccup for, like I said, 3+ years now; multiple computers; multiple planes.

Rhino

...Do you "eject" the thumb drives when done, or just yank them out as I've watched so many people do?....
That's not really an issue anymore. Windows 10 disables write caching (the reason an eject was needed) by default for USB flash drives. You're correct though that issues with newly released capabilities like Slingshot are to be somewhat expected. This is even more likely when multiple manufacturers/providers are involved, especially when all are releasing updates without necessarily coordinating with each other.

PilotMelch

That's not really an issue anymore. Windows 10 disables write caching (the reason an eject was needed) by default for USB flash drives. You're correct though that issues with newly released capabilities like Slingshot are to be somewhat expected. This is even more likely when multiple manufacturers/providers are involved, especially when all are releasing updates without necessarily coordinating with each other.
Yes, as of version 1903 (Windows 10), write caching was disabled by default (for new removable devices), but before that version of Windows 10, and if you had any removable drives used before that set to "Better Performance" (windows remembers those settings per device if you desire). I mentioned the "eject" because I know there are many that don't keep things updated, like their OS, or the Database Manager, or don't understand the importance of doing so. It was this very reason Microsoft decided to default to Disable Write Caching over Better Performance in version 1903. And of course, having everything in the mix updated can be important when you have issues. But it's impossible to know the state of the machines, devices, or the processes that users go through when they report having issues. It is rare outside of the IT world (which understands it is important) that users report they have everything updated, or what versions of the various things they are running, or what steps/process they go through to get the error. But users complain nonetheless when things don't just plain work, or require extra knowledge that only others have. I'm not saying they don't have a right to complain/report, they do indeed; I'm just saying not everyone's state or process is identical (they are likely not given all the variables involved), but the complaints/issue reports somewhat inherently assume they are.

Then there are the issues that are "introduced" by the latest update of this or that... Yep, life is still complicated.

n144sh

I love flying!
I think you're comparing apples to oranges with the 175. Updating the 175 is correlative to updating the Dynon databases. Updating the charts, plates, etc. from Seattle Avionics is adding in hi-resolution images of all of those things, which the 175 does not utilize. Also, a complete update with Nav data, charts, plates, etc. on the IFD540 takes about the same amount of time, 25-30 mins per panel. I suspect you're only updating the Nav data if only 5 mins.

A better comparison to updating the Seattle Avionics charts and plates databases might be to updating the Garmin G3X panels with the same information. I do that regularly as well on multiple planes, and it takes a good 25 minutes each panel (50 mins total for dual panels), and that is from an SD card, not over WiFi.

Honestly, I think the Seattle Avionics Database Manager gets an over-amount of bad press still. Yes, it used to be problematic, but I personally haven't had a single issue with it at all for at least 3+ years. And I run it on a couple of different computers and regularly update multiple planes. If you're having issues, I wonder if you've updated the database manager lately? Do you "eject" the thumb drives when done, or just yank them out as I've watched so many people do? Slingshot will be nice, but there may be some bugs to work out. It introduces all the variables with the iPad and its Apple updates in the mix too.

My experience with Garmin's system for updating databases is that for some devices, like the 796 portable that connects directly to your computer, it is pretty streamlined. The G3X's and other panel units, copying to an SD card, are not so streamlined. There are other components in the mix that need to work perfectly, namely the SD card, its format, what it already has on it, and if it stays mounted through the web page selection and on into the application you install that actually downloads and copies the files onto the SD card. If it has any problems at all you have to start over. If you start over, it gets confused as to what you have already done, not done, what it did, what was there, etc. It's best to just download and install everything in that case, even databases you know were up to date before you started.

Compare that to Seattle Avionics Database Manager. All I do is put both USB thumb drives into the PC and it automatically updates them with whatever needs updating. I don't even have to wait for it to download the databases as that will have already been done in the background. Then I just plug them into the Dynon's in the panel. Done. Honestly, this has worked for me without any hiccup for, like I said, 3+ years now; multiple computers; multiple planes.

Fair enough on the 175 comparison being apples to oranges as it does not include charts which is the large data usage. IFD updates however include full Nav/obstacle & charts if you subscribe to them as I currently do. Below are Avidyne's quoted numbers which are consistent with what I see (about 5-6 minutes for full US nav, obstacle and chart data). I agree with you that SA datamanager has improved and is typically trouble free now, although still clunky and not available for MacOS. My surprise was that Slingshot which is supposed to be a big improvement takes over an hour in the plane. That is a far worse tradeoff for me than updating the USB sticks on datamanager on the PC.

From: https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/562-ifd-database-upload/
Typical upload times are:
Worldwide Obstacles (1.5 MB) – 5 sec
Eastern US Charts (100 MB) – 3min (5xx only)
US Charts (180 MB) – 5 ½ min (5xx only)
Worldwide Charts (430 MB) – 13 min (5xx only)
US Nav Data (8 MB) – 20 sec
Europe Nav Data (10 MB) – 20-30 sec
Australian Nav Data (1.5 MB) – 5 sec
Worldwide Nav Data (15 MB) – 40 sec **See Note Above**

porterjames

I love flying!
I flew today and verified that my IPad connected without incident and that the Dynons were ready to receive download data from my IPad. Since my USB's were up to date obviously there was no data to transfer.

PilotMelch

Fair enough on the 175 comparison being apples to oranges as it does not include charts which is the large data usage. IFD updates however include full Nav/obstacle & charts if you subscribe to them as I currently do. Below are Avidyne's quoted numbers which are consistent with what I see (about 5-6 minutes for full US nav, obstacle and chart data). I agree with you that SA datamanager has improved and is typically trouble free now, although still clunky and not available for MacOS. My surprise was that Slingshot which is supposed to be a big improvement takes over an hour in the plane. That is a far worse tradeoff for me than updating the USB sticks on datamanager on the PC.

From: https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/562-ifd-database-upload/
Typical upload times are:
Worldwide Obstacles (1.5 MB) – 5 sec
Eastern US Charts (100 MB) – 3min (5xx only)
US Charts (180 MB) – 5 ½ min (5xx only)
Worldwide Charts (430 MB) – 13 min (5xx only)
US Nav Data (8 MB) – 20 sec
Europe Nav Data (10 MB) – 20-30 sec
Australian Nav Data (1.5 MB) – 5 sec
Worldwide Nav Data (15 MB) – 40 sec **See Note Above**
Ok, now I had to think about this a bit more.

I think (please correct me if I'm incorrect here), that the Avidyne products use only vector charts and plates (Jepp sourced?), versus raster image FAA charts and plates. Vector data is more size/storage efficient than raster images, so this would translate into significantly less time to update overall for correlative items (i.e. vector charts would be smaller and take less time to transfer than correlative raster charts).

However, the Garmin 175, the IFD540, and even (I believe) the Avidyne PFDs all use ONLY vector charts (again, please correct me if I'm wrong here); whereas the Garmin PFDs (e.g. G3X G1000, etc.), Garmin portables, such as the Garmin 696/796, and Dynon HDX/Skyview PFDs use, or make available, BOTH vector and raster charts (user selectable).

With Dynon HDX/Skyview, you update the vector data (the NAV data), which the digital charts/moving map are generated from when you update the free Dynon database (which also includes airport and facility data). But Dynon's database does not include approach charts, IFR or VFR nav charts, it includes only the digital data that is used to generate the vector-based nav map. With Dynon, if you desire VFR, IFR charts, that look like the FAA charts (because they are), and Approach Plates that look like the FAA plates (because they are), you subscribe to them through Seattle Avionics and get that geo-referenced raster data onto USB thumb drives and plug them into the Dynon displays (either the database manager or now Slingshot). Because these charts/plates are built from raster images rather than digital or vector data, they are larger and will take longer to update. If all you want or need is the digital nav maps you don't need a Seattle Avionics subscription, nor do you need to spend time updating them.

Similarly, Garmin panel PFD/MFDs (G3X, G1000, etc) and the larger Garmin Portables (696, 796, etc.) have digital/vector NAV data that is used to generate a digital moving map, and you have the option to purchase and use raster image charts and plates as well. I believe on some you also have the option to purchase vector-based plates too.

The Garmin 175 is a navigator that I don't believe has an option for raster charts and plates at all, only digital/vector data. I'm not sure trying to view an approach plate of any type on the smaller screen makes any sense either. Using the Navigator assumes you have some other form of the plate, either on your iPad, your PFD, or in paper form.

And again, with Avidyne products, navigators and PFD/MFDs, I believe you only have vector-based charts and plates, and no option for raster charts and plates. Again, please let me know if I'm incorrect here.

So, if this is all correct, there would be no apples to apples comparison between time updating charts/plates on a Dynon HDX (using Seattle Avionics data) and a Garmin 175 or Avidyne IFD540, because they don't have apples to apples support for nav, charts, and plates. All of these devices have digital/vector nav data that is used to generate digital charts/moving maps, so updating ONLY that data would be a valid time comparison I suppose.

Seperate from this discussion would be a discussion on the value of raster charts/plates vs. vector charts/plates. I would suggest that each has their advantages and disadvantages. To begin with, raster charts and plates look like, and the information they contain are, identical to paper charts/plates many of us grew up on and are comfortable with. They have been optimized over many decades to show the most information they can using color, symbols, line styles and various shading, simply because they had to. Everything you needed for a VFR or IFR flight needed to be there or if not there, easily referenced in the little green AFD books. On our electronic displays, the raster data is usually contained in chunks, and in more than one resolution for each chunk, so the optimal resolution can be displayed for different zoom levels. This avoids really grainy zoomed-in views and losing thin lines altogether when zoomed way out. Vector data on the other hand is used to generate, on the fly, charts and plates at specific zoom levels, so it does not have that resolution issue to contend with. It also has the benefit of being able to "declutter" by not displaying everything it can, at various zoom levels, or by user control. Oftentimes though, it is lacking in other features and information that are available directly on raster charts, requiring you to select and item and then get "Info" on it, or look up that info separately in another way (like radio freqs, runway lengths, available services, ATC freqs, etc.). Other info, like weather conditions, winds, graphical TFR's, and even traffic, can be placed atop either raster or vector maps. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't depending on support by the product and available information.

Last edited:

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone affected by Slingshot not connecting, could you log on to the SA website and click the "My account" link to see what the status of your subscriptions is for me? Even though my login works with both FlyQ and the Chart Data Manager, mine says the SkyView account is expired. SA thinks this may be what is wrong and are looking into it. I want to see if this is the common denominator with these issues.