SOLVED- USB Drive formatted using the Seattle Avionic ChartData Manager prevents Skyview from booting

owenssonex

I purchased a 64 GB SanDisk USB drive for data log storage and Seattle Avionics maps. After selecting the 'Prepare USB flash drive for Dynon Skyview' in the ChartData Manager my skyview HDX1100 will not boot. The initial HDX image will appear and stay there for about 90 seconds, the screen dims and then HDX appears again. This pattern will repeat indefinitely, the system will not boot. If I remove the USB drive, boot the HDX, and then install the USB everything works perfectly.

I had another 64 GB drive of the exact same type and manufacture. I did NOT do the Seattle Avionic drive format. I connected this USB and booted the Skyview. No issues- booted just fine.

After a bit of digging (a lot more than it should have been) I realized that a SanDisk 64 GB cannot be formatted as FAT32- only exFAT is supported. The Seattle drive format appears to be doing half of the formatting. It probably should detect the incompatible drive size.

I will purchase a 32 GB drive and I will have plenty of space. I'll use the drives I have for log file backup.

I'm hoping this post will save others a bit of grief.

Don from Dynon, I'm the customer that asked you about this at AirVenture

Raymo

I love aviation!
You should also be able to partition the drive into 2 or more drives to reduce the drive size to less than 32 GB.

swatson999

So do I read this correctly? If you format it (as exFAT) using anything other than the SA tool, it will work just fine for downloading SA charts and such, and load/display them correctly on SV? But if you use the SA tool to format it, it fails?

owenssonex

64GB, exFAT, SA formatted, SA maps via SA tool=> cannot boot Skyview with USB inserted, maps are functional if I insert USB after boot up.
64GB, exFAT, NOT SA formatted, SA maps copied=> Skyview boots with no issues with USB inserted, drive can be used for data logs, SA maps not detected by skyview, ever.
Sandisk indicates a 64GB drive cannot be formatted to FAT32, Windows workstation drive format tool behavior agrees with this.

kellym

I love flying!
I ran into this problem with new SanDisk UltraFit 32 drive, formated to FAT32. Friend has 2 aircraft, one with Classic 10", one with HDX 10". With this drive neither system would boot with the drive inserted. However, I take drive to my system with 2 Classic 10" screens. No problem booting either screen with this drive. Take my own UltraFit 32 drive to his systems. Boots with both systems. Reformatting and reloading with SA charts made no difference. 2 identical drives other than the drive label, works with one system, not two other systems. Problem did not surface with 16 GB drives, only this one 32GB drive. Question is what about the boot cycle even looks at whether there is a drive in one of the USB ports, and does it matter whether it is a port wired to the 37 pin plug or one connected to the back of screen ports?