Some Requests

Mark_Dickens

A few requests:

1. Is there a way to have the map cursor on the left knob as well as the right knob? If not, I am requesting this. I have my ipad mounted on the right side of my panel and it partially blocks access to the right most knob on one of my SV displays. I have to reach under the ipad to get to it. It doesn't appear that the left most knob is being used for much anyway in that configuration. If the screen is being dedicated (or the left side) to the map, why not let the left knob manipulate the map...or have I just missed how to do this?

2. is it possible to rearrange the "Map Info Items"? It seems like they're scattered around in a random fashion. It would be GREAT to be able to arrange them like you can with the EMS screens.

3. Why allow the autopilot to begin a descent if the altitude bug is set to a higher value (or vice versa) and you enter VS or IAS mode with the wrong "Nose Up" or "Nose Dn" button? Makes no sense to me and it's a real irritant in turbulence if you accidentally hit the wrong button. I fly a G1000 as well and it will not descend or ascend if the bug doesn't make sense. Seems common sense to me.

airguy

A few requests:
3. Why allow the autopilot to begin a descent if the altitude bug is set to a higher value (or vice versa) and you enter VS or IAS mode with the wrong "Nose Up" or "Nose Dn" button? Makes no sense to me and it's a real irritant in turbulence if you accidentally hit the wrong button. I fly a G1000 as well and it will not descend or ascend if the bug doesn't make sense. Seems common sense to me.

Agreed on this one. I think I would prefer to have the aircraft do what I tell it to, in all things, and perhaps give me a warning if there is a conflict. In this case if I'm at 7500 and set the altitude bug to 9500 and select a descent, I want the airplane to descend - but I would also like it to say "Caution, altitude bug" while doing it, and maybe flash the altitude bug, to draw attention to the discrepancy.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There are multiple ways to enter vertical speed modes, such as just turning on the autopilot and having it do a vertical speed capture. In this case, I can't imagine you'd want it to fail to engage because the altitude bug was on the wrong side. So some of this is a consistency issue, with not wanting certain entry paths to block you while others work.

Another reason we don't obey the altitude bug is that sometimes you want to just reach up and press NOSE DOWN and have the airplane start the descent before you spin in an altitude. Personally, I often press NOSE DOWN when I'm transitioning from VFR en-route altitude hold to my descent, and then worry about the altitude bug later (if ever). If we added this, pressing NOSE UP or NOSE DOWN when in ALT HOLD at your altitude bug would do nothing.

You might also change your altitude bug in the middle of a climb or descent, and to be consistent we'd need to zero out your VS when the bug crossed your current altitude. All of this seems like it adds a lot of complexity leading to more "what is it doing now?" questions.

Then there is the whole issue that IAS is not inherently up or down in vertical speed, so applying a consistency check to that has it's own issues.

Finally, we believe that obeying VS targets without regard to the ALT bug is industry standard. While you say that the G1000 does this, the manuals do not indicate this, and the simulators don't act this way either. This could be airframe or software version dependent. Looking through other manuals such as S-Tec also do not indicate that VS or IAS modes are blocked in directions inconsistent with the alt target.

As always, we're happy to re-consider if our customers want a change, so please continue the discussion, and we're happy to learn how other systems handle these cases.

W

William_Ince

Personally, I like it just the way Dynon has set it up.

Mark_Dickens

OK, good points and I'll try using VS mode on my G1000 without the bug. I know that in the past, if I bug an altitude inconsistent with the direction of the Nose Up or Nose Down command, it (on a 2008 G36 Bonanza) very briefly tried to ascend or descend consistent with the Nose Up or Down command, but would then just level off. As you say, it may be an specific airframe thing.

Any thoughts about items 1 and 2 above? :D

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
#1) Yes, MAP MENU -> MAP MODE -> KNOB LOCATION. Set this to LEFT. (Page 7-70 in Classic/Touch User Guide for more info

#2) Yes, you can choose what is in each info item, and if they are active. MAP MENU -> MAP INFO ITEMS. You can't completely drag them like the EMS widgets, but pretty close. (Page 7-71 in Classic/Touch User Guide for more info)