SV-MAP-270 = 3.0 ??

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yep! You'll have a 30 flight hour free trial to try before you buy, though.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The Dynon side is free for 30 hours no matter where you are in the world, but we can't provide Jeppesen data without charging so you would need to buy data to try it out.

trevpond

Hi again,

So how much is the Jeppesen Data going to cost us over here in Europe? The advanced mapping and the rest isn't a lot of use without it! Typically, Europe doesn't exist again!!!

regards

Trev :-[

klindell

Europe exists, still, I hope...
Cost for Jeppesen Nav data for the whole central Europe is some 300 € a year.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
USA data is free because in the US, taxes pay for the database so it's "free" to all end users. In other countries, acquiring the data is not free, so there is no way for Dynon to provide it to our users for free. We are not ignoring the rest of the world, but there just is no way for us to provide any kind of free data for Europe even if it is only for evaluation purposes.

Jeppesen airport/airspace data is $60 USD for a single update and $175 for an annual subscription. Adding obstacles makes it $105 per update or $315 per year. This money is paid directly to Jeppesen by you.

Note: Edited 3/9 to correct incorrect pricing information

trevpond

So cost to us Europeans to have the mapping and have something to see on it for route planning is $965 for the first year and $465. thereafter every year! Why are the Jeppesen updates more expensive for Dynon than our Garmin 695's etc, they include Obstacles, Airways, Airports, Terrain etc and so will Dynon albeit from Jeppesen.

Trevor :-X

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The updates are $315 with airports, airspace, and obstacles. It's not $175 + $315.

Dynon:
$175 annual: Airspace + airports  
$315 annual: Airspace + airports + obstacles
Terrain: Free worldwide, always

Garmin 696:
$295 annual: Airspace + Airports
$195 annual: Obstacles only
$400 annual: Airspace + Airports + obstacles + terrain

You cannot get a bundle discount from Garmin without buying terrain, so $400 is the cheapest way to get an annual subscription to aviation + obstacles, $85 more than Dynon.

Note: Edited 3/9 to correct incorrect pricing information.

trevpond

Hi,

Just spotted this:

Re: SV-MAP-270 = 3.0 ??
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2011, 7:29pm Quote Yep! You'll have a 30 flight hour free trial to try before you buy, though.

But we won't over here, because it won't do anything without the Jeppesen info.

Back to you! Seriously though, you can understand the reluctance to part with the money for Jeppesen info unless we see it working on Skyview first.

regards

Trevor ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There is nothing we can do to give you free Jeppesen data, and Jeppesen data is the only source we have for outside the USA.

We attempted to negotiate demo data in our discussions with Jeppesen, but this was not something that worked for them. We're sorry if this means the map will not work for you, but there is nothing more Dynon can do.

Your cheapest option to evaluate the product is to buy a $60 single update from Jeppesen for airports and airspaces. This will let you evaluate the system for 30 flight hours before you have to commit the $500 to Dynon.

mmarien

Murray M.
Good marketing would have been to charge us $600 with one free Jeppensen update ;).

We are in the same situation in Canada. I appreciate the 30 hour free trial usage. While there are some airports near the border and some obstacles that show up in the US data here in Canada I think the $100 (or $60 for just the airspace) one time update is reasonable to try the product.

skysailor

If I purchase the map option and live in the US, is ALL data provided free from Dynon? I am particularly interested in airspace/airport information and hope that you will eventually offer IFR routes.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our basic philosophy with map data is that if it is free to us, it will be free to the customer. I can't say for sure that this will be true with everything forever, but with all data we see today, that is true. That doesn't mean we can implement every free database in the world though, as it does take us significant work to support a database so the demand must be there.

For instance, in the USA, approach plates are free, but there is no free source of georeferenced plates that we know of, so simple plates will probably be free but there is no way georeferenced ones will be. The FAA provides some airport diagrams which are free, but there are larger sets of them out there that cost.

Airport, airspace, obstacles, waypoints, VOR's, remarks, frequencies, and a lot more are already in our databases today and will never be pay for. If by "IFR routes" you mean airways, then those will also be free of charge when we implement them.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You will purchase it straight from Jeppesen. We will have a link to their site when 3.0 is released.

Bruno

MMARIEN OR Mr.Dynon Support
  Do you guys know how far north of the border ( Canada/USA ) is the free Jeppensen data extending...?(Wondering if the Montreal region is covered by it )
 Mr.Dynon
   If by any luck I'm able to get coverage where I live with the free US Data, will I have still to purchase the Data just because I'm leaving north of the border??

Thanks

Bruno :-?

Bruno

Mr.Dynon Support
   I understand there is a free 30 ''flight hours'' try out period with ver 3.0
  But how is this tracked?? Is there an internal timer with the software or do we have to register when we start using it?? I'm asking because I would like to try it out before I fly and this won't happen before next April at the earliest and I liked to have some free time remaining to try it  in the A/C before making a final decision..??

Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The US database has airports and airspace for about 100 miles into Canada. This is not Jeppesen data, this is FAA data. If 100 miles works for you, you can use the USA database.