SV-XPNDR-261 not seeing IFD540 serial data

jsalak

I love flying!
Have a SV1000 system with SV-XPNDR-261, GPS-250, ARINC-429, Avidyne IFD540 GPS NAV/COM and a Garmin GTR200 Comm. I am having a problem with the -261 seeing the RS232 IN on pin 3 from the IDF540 in either the aviation format or the ADS-B format. The GPS-250 input selection works fine and I see ADS-B weather and traffic, however selecting the -261 GPS Input source to Aviation or ADS-B (from the IDF540) results in no data being detected. I placed a break-out box at the -261 connector and was able to see data streams in both the Aviation output format (9600,8,1,N, No control) and ADS-B format (38800, 8,1,N No control) from the IDF540 to the -261 using a RS232 analyzer. The pin to pin ring out also shows a good 1.2k ohm reading. I am running 12.2 SW and upgraded the -261 with the latest load. Any ideas on why the SV1000/-261 is not seeing any 232 data from the 540?

Also, is there any way to verify if the ARINC-429 is seeing the RS232 Aviation format IN from the IFD540?

Thanks.

John Salak

jakej

John

I'm not familiar with the IFD units, yet, but did you connect to 2 serial outputs ie 1 for Aviation Out & a second one for the ADSB out to pin 3 of the -261 & configured for that ?

If yes, then maybe it's a software issue between the -261 & IFD units ;)

Jake J

jsalak

I love flying!
The IFD540 is a plug-in replacement for a Gamin GNS530, same rack and connector pin assignments. The IFD540 has five configurable RS232 channels, I am trying to use channel 1 out in Aviation format for the SV-ARINC-429 GPS input and channel 2 out in ADS-B format for the SV-XPNDR-261 certified GPS input. Troubleshooting was to shutoff channel 1 and try channel 2 in both Aviation and ADS-B output formats. The RS232 analyzer is seeing both message sets from the IDF540 at the SV-XPNDR-261 pin 3 input but the SV1000 Transponder setup page is saying there is no data with either source selected. Selection of the GPS-250 as the XPNDR input source for ADS-B works fine.

Avidyne will not say if the ADS-B(Avi) output format is the same as a Garmin ADS-B+, however they list the Trig TT31 as certified combination and the Trig TT31 takes a Garmin ADS-B+ input. I tried the Aviation format just to see if the interface is even working. The ADS-B(Avi) is the only format I have available to meet 2020 ADS-B compliance with the SV-XPNDR-261.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
John,
Our AFS division sells the IFD540 as part of their quick panel system (at an awesome fully-bundled price FYI!) so we have some experience here.

First things first- there's no point in using the Aviation or ADS-B (non-plus) format to hook to the transponder. These are not ADS-B mandate compliant formats, so they're no better than using the built-in SkyView GPS.

The ADS-B format in the IFD540 is not ADS-B+ or ADS-B, so you can skip right over that in SkyView. The reason it says ADS-B(Avi) is that it's Avidyne's own proprietary format, not one of Garmin's.

To get it to work, you will need to use the "ADS-B (Avi)" format. However, this is not yet supported in the SkyView. It will be implemented in our next release and using this will give you full 2020 compliance.

So our best suggestion right now is to wire it up, but not worry about setting it up in SkyView, and just use "SKYVIEW" as the position source for now. You won't lose any benefits from doing this in 2015. When we have the firmware later this year, you can update your SkyView, transponder, and then set the transponder to use the Avidyne format.

It is our experience that Aviation out from the Avidyne and into the Transponder doesn't work, so the fact it doesn't work does not mean you have any wiring issues. We've never really investigated this since it's not a useful data format to use.

You also asked if there was a way to verify that the ARINC module is getting aviation data- the best way to do this is to turn off your SV-GPS-250 in the serial setup menu, so that the IFD540 becomes your position source. If you can see the map position, it's working, because we won't show that position without the data that comes over Aviation.

jakej

" When we have the firmware later this year, you can update your SkyView, transponder, and then set the transponder to use the Avidyne format."

DS - Can you guarantee you will have the firmware later this year as we have some aircraft ops that require them to be compliant by Feb 2016? :)

Jake J

jsalak

I love flying!
Great news on why the -261 is not seeing the data from the IDF540 and that I will eventually have compliant solution with a SW upgrade. I was a bit surprised that a 'plug-in' replacement for a GNS530W does not have a Garmin ADS-B+ output format.

The aviation data I am seeing has 'l' and 'w' data labels after the 'T' label/data and before the ETX. I can only find msg documentation from an STX start to 'T' data followed by ETX. Hopefully the ARINC-429 will not have a problem with that format.

BTW, please pass on my thanks and complements to the engineers and technical staff on the quality and clarity the SV Installation manual. I designed and fabricated my own wiring harness for the aircraft and had no issues with any of the SV components or interfaces. The only SV configuration issue has been the IDF540 GPS in to the -261.

John Salak         

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
John,
The IFD540 has been tested with our ARINC module. You shouldn't have any issues there.

Thanks for the complements. Our team works hard on our manuals. It's nice to know it works!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Jake,
My mom taught me not to make promises ;)

We fully expect to have support for the IFD540 in the Transponder long before Feb 2016, but that's not a "guarantee".

The one thing we're not experts in is how CASA will accept different combinations of equipment as legal. Any help or data there would be appreciated.

--Ian

jakej

Thanks Ian, I'm sure you guys are very busy & doing the best you can - some clients can't wait to get away from Garmin's monopoly position & use other manufacturers products ;)

Jake J

jsalak

I love flying!
Got my SV-D1000 back from repair and finally upgraded the IDF540 SW to 10.1, however I am having no luck on getting the -261 transponder to see the ADS-B(Avi) serial data from the IDF540. I note in the -261 installation data the serial port speed is 19200 and from my previous testing using a serial port analyzer it looks like the IFD540 is running the ADS-B(Avi) at 38400. It does not appear that the IFD540 lets you configure the serial port speed. Any ideas on a IFD540 serial output setting that will provide ADB-B compliant GPS to the -261 at 19200? I have the 1.2K resistor in line and the pin-to-pin wiring checks good.

Thanks.
John Salak

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We have a bug there - our baud rate for the Avidyne option should have been 9600 (we now believe), not the 19200 that we have it set at in 13.0. You're mentioning that the IFD540 looks to be outputting at 38400 though. What makes you think that? We could possibly get you a beta of our next release before too long if you're fairly technical / comfortable using slightly unpolished software.

jsalak

I love flying!
When I set the IFD540 RS232 channel output to ADS-B(Avi) the serial data analyzer would not show any data until I selected the 38400 baud rate for input. For the IFD540 Aviation output mode, it looks like it is running at 9600 baud. I have attached two files of data I captured, the Aviation format looks to match up with a format specification I found. I have no format data for the ADS-B(Avi) so the file is just a bunch of hex code. I saw no point in trying to reverse engineer it to see what it contained, I just wanted to see that the IFD540 port was outputting data at pin 3 of the -261 XPNDR.

I have no problem working with beta software and have more years of experience in DoD System and SW development than I care to think about.       

jsalak

I love flying!
Follow-up to the previous post: I received an email today from Avidyne technical support stating the ADS-B(Avi) serial output from the 540 is set at 9600 baud. They stated it works fine with the Avidyne AXP340 transponder, which is actually a Trig transponder. Sounds like 9600 is the place to start for the SIO speed.

John Salak

jsalak

I love flying!
Just looking at SV Installation Guide Rev W for v14 and it appears the IFD540/440 serial port setting is still set at 19,200. It looks like you did a lot of work in the transponder area for ADS-B, did the change to 9,600 baud get implemented for the IDF 540/440 selection? It will be the weekend before I can load the v14 software, so I just want to know if I can expect it the 540 to work with the transponder. 

John Salak

jsalak

I love flying!
Happy to report my IDF540 is now talking to the -261 xpndr for ADS-B compliant GPS input. ARINC-429 interface with SV-D1000 also looks to be fully functional. SV manual fixed with a redline.

John Salak