Tach. sender?

• Thread starter canardflyer(Guest)
  • Start date
C

canardflyer(Guest)

I am in the process of installing the EMS. I had a p-lead driven tach, which I never liked as it dropped off during mag-check. I see that the EMS accepts an optional 12v output tach sender. Any recommendations for compatible tach transducers? BTW, I prefer electronic/optical version since my tach port on the engine is blocked by my angle oil filter adapter.

Thanks for the great product line!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
One of the cool features of the EMS is that it accepts dual p-lead inputs, one from each mag. We sense whichever mag is "alive" and display the tach off of this. So no need for a tach sender if you are worried about loosing the tach during mag check.

The only issue with this currently is that both mags must have the same pulses per revolution as one another. If you have one mechanical mag and one electronic, this may be an issue. We'll fix this in software in the future.

If you do want a tach sender, we can take any any tach sender I have ever seen. We don't have a recomedation for one, but I'm sure whatever setup works for you will work fine for our EMS.

C

canardflyer(Guest)

Thanks for such a prompt reply!

I do have a mag and electronic ignition (Ligthspeed) combination. :(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Well, that's only an issue if they use seperate pulses per revolution settings. Usually they do, but worth checking.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
C

canardflyer(Guest)

Just an update on my tach hookup...

I installed the right tach lead to the mag and the left to the tach output from my LSE electronic ignition (EI). I was able to get both signals on my EMS, however, the number of pulses per revolution from the EI output were twice that of the mag. Since there is only one setting for the pulses per revolution for both left and right tach inputs, I can only choose one or the other. Otherwise I am off by a factor of two on one of them. The internal program automatically selects the available tach signal output of the two.

The good thing about the EI tach output is that the tach output stays on even if you switch the unit off for EI check - unlike mag. Since I did not have enough clearance on the engine case to put a separate tach sender unit, due to the angle oil filter adapter, I chose to keep only the EI tach input to the EMS. This way I don't have to keep switching the mag off temporarily to have the EMS switch and latch on to EI tach input.

Would have been nice to have separate scale factor in the EMS for the two tach inputs.

But all is well...
:)

ps: I especially like the capability to specify various color range th thresholds or each data item on the display. Nice job with the user interface!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Glad to hear that you got the EMS working. We hope to add different pulse/RPM settings for each mag in a future software release. This will allow you to hook up both mags at the same time if you wish.

S

Sam Chambers(Guest)

Glad to hear that you got the EMS working. We hope to add different pulse/RPM settings for each mag in a future software release. This will allow you to hook up both mags at the same time if you wish.
8)

I will be ordering an EFIS D-10A and EMS D-10 within a couple of weeks to install in my currently flying Long-EZ.  I have one mag and an Electroair EI.  The EI outputs 2 square wave pulses per revolution.  Does the current software support different settings for L/R ignitions?

Thanks,

Sam Chambers
Long-EZ N775AM

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sam,
Currently we only support one pulse/rev setting, but we will be adding different settings for L/R mags in a future software update.

longezo320

Sam,
Currently we only support one pulse/rev setting, but we will be adding different settings for L/R mags in a future software update.

8) 8)

Great, any idea when?

Thanks,

Sam Chambers
Lng-EZ N775AM

Hi, guys,

I did not see a response anywhere to this and am just about ready to install my EFIS & EMS.  I have one impulse-coupled mag and one Eledtro-Aire electronic ignition that outputs two square wave pulses per rev.  If it will be awhile before you have the capabilities to support two different inputs, I would like to temporarily use a tach generator, but have not had a lot of luck finding one.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, and I love your product, can't wait to fly behind the units.

Sam Chambers
Long-EZ N775AM

longezo320

One of our employees successfully used a tach sender sold through Vans Aircraft.  Via Van's web store, search for Tach, then go to Vans Series Tachometer.  There are two part numbers, depending upon whether or not you have a vacuum system or not.  These are most likely only for Lycoming engines.

IE VTACHGEN2 (non vacuum pump)
IE VTACHGEN12 (with vacuum pump)

Link to Van's page: http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1115657147-346-582&browse=ei&product=vans-tach
:question
I ordered one of these, but it did not come with any information at all about the output.  What did your employee use for a format and how did he connect the sender?

Thanks,

Sam Chambers
Long-EZ N775AM

meljordan

Hi,

I had this tach sender in my RV with a Lyc 360. Mine also came with no instructions or diagram. Hook the Red wire to +12VDC, the Black goes to Ground and the White connects to the Dynon EMS tach input. Set the Dynon to "1" pluse per rev and this should work fine. As long as you get the wires right, you can't hurt anything by the setting in the Dynon. If set wrong, the RPM will either read too high or two low by at least a factor of 2, so it is very obvious what you need to change. However, the setting of "1" worked fine for me.

Best Regards,
Mel Jordan
RV-6A Tucson

longezo320

Hi,

I had this tach sender in my RV with a Lyc 360.   Mine also came with no instructions or diagram.  Hook the Red wire to +12VDC, the Black goes to Ground and the White connects to the Dynon EMS tach input.  Set the Dynon to "1" pluse per rev and this should work fine.  As long as you get the wires right, you can't hurt anything by the setting in the Dynon.  If set wrong, the RPM will either read too high or two low by at least a factor of 2, so it is very obvious what you need to change.  However, the setting of "1" worked fine for me.

Best Regards,
Mel Jordan
RV-6A   Tucson

:cool:
Thanks so much.  I thought I would have to use the 5vdc excitation from the EMS as I could not find any generators that did not use 5v.  I will wire as you say and if I get the rpm too low by half, I will brag about how fast my EZ is  :).

Sam Chambers
Glasgow, KY
Long-EZ N775AM

T

Tim Lumpp(Guest)

I purchased the RV tach sender (IE VTACHGEN2 (non vacuum pump)) I had to order the parts to make it a ( IE VTACHGEN12 (with vacuum pump)), the reason being that the VTACHGEN2 connects right to the tach drive, and this interfered with the oil filter housing. I now have a 12" tach cable and the sensor mounted on the fire wall.

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I didn't get the 30K resistors that are mentioned in the EMS documentation with my unit. Are they 1/4 watt resisters or something larger?

Thanks
Ray Doerr

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ray,
Sorry if you didn't get the resistors. They should be in a bag with some other small bits for the EMS. We'd be happy to send this to you if it's missing.

If you want to get youor own resistors, 1/4W are fine. They can be anything near 30K ohms- the exact value isn't needed. The common 33K would be fine.

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

Yes, can you please send the bag that has the resistors and the other stuff for the EMS.

longezo320

:)Dynon,  Do you have the tach set up for different pulses per rev for each input yet?

Thanks,

Sam Chambers
Long-EZ N775AM

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Not quite yet, but it will be in the firmware update after the one that is due imminently. In other words, it is still a few months away.

longezo320

Not quite yet, but it will be in the firmware update after the one that is due imminently. In other words, it is still a few months away.

:'( Thanks, I will use the EI input alone, but wire both the tach and EI for the future upgrade.

Sam