Tachometer input voltages

scheevel

I love flying!
I am installing an electronic ignition module from Rotec. I have not been able to get a response from them to my quesitons. The ICU that they use appears to be similar to a BOSCH unit with a hall sensor trigger. It has a tach output, but no indication if this is sending the hall triggering voltage as a pulse or something higher. If you have dealt with this type of ICU tacho output in the past can you tell me if it connects to the high voltage or low voltage EMS input. Right now, I have it connected to the high voltage input. Thanks for any help you can render.

Jay

scheevel

I love flying!
Can someone please help me with this question? I am at a loss and need to hook this up. Don't want to get it wrong and burn out my EMS or not register any RPM. Thanks.

scheevel

I love flying!
I know this is a Dynon forum. I am installing a Dynon EMS and Skyview system. The EMS has tachometer inputs for either high or low voltage. I am asking here to see of others have connected a similar electronic ignitiion with tach output to a Dynon system. I am hoping that there is some shared experience. Have you installed an electronic ignition with a tach output to your dynon system? If so, any help would be appreciated.

Jay

Raymo

I love aviation!
I haven't dealt with a hall type sensor but I have a P-Mag (electronic ignition) that sends voltage directly to the Dynon EMS. The P-Mag documentation provides the output information necessary to determine the correct input to the Dynon EMS.

You will likely need to contact the MFG of the sensor to know which input to use since no one else here seems to have used the same setup.

scheevel

I love flying!
Thanks Ray. I actually came here second after not getting any response from the Rotec forum. I keep trying there but crickets. I guess I will have to spend the dime to call Australia, but I was trying to avoid that.

Jay

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
As has been observed already, sounds like you need to contact Rotec themselves.
Surely they have an email address for tech support?

What is their normal 'recommendation' for a tacho?
Something like a Westach, maybe (with or without the half speed / wasted spark wire cut)?
Can you get the technical specs for that and then reverse-engineer / imply from that?

Where are you? Putting a location in your profile may get people closer to you to offer some assistance.

scheevel

I love flying!
Posted repeatedly on Rotec's forums, but no response, so I came here afterward. After reading the Dynon EMS docs, it was clear there is a high and low voltage input with selectable pulse rate, so I thought that maybe someone had been through the same exercise here. I am in western Colorado in USA. I will keep trying Rotec. Thanks for the reply

Jay