Transponder and Pitot Cal.

Pete1979

Hi,

If the pitot static/transponder reading is incorrect can this be fixed/calibrated on the Skyview display or does calibration happen on the transponder/adahrs hardware?
TIA.
Pete.

swatson999

Probably need more info here...there can be pitot errors, static errors, and transponder errors. What do you believe is the problem, and what are you seeing that you think or know is incorrect?

Raymo

I love aviation!
If using the Dynon transponder, it gets its data from Skyview. Calibration of the AD-AHRS, as I understand, is done by Dynon. If you have an issue with incorrect altitude, it is likely related to a static leak, which you'll need to find/fix.

Pete1979

Say the airspeed was reading wrong. Is that the AD-AHRS unit reporting wrong? Or would both screens be reading wrong?

DBRV10

Your IAS comes from the ADAHRS and will be the same on both screens.

You should do a Pitot ZERO PRESSURE (read the manual) as this is important.

In the Pitot Test mode (again read manual) there is an offset that can be dialled in.

My experience with many ADAHRS and older D10/D100 units is the IAS is more accurate than the test equipment. I know there has been the odd exception and Dynon quickly turn around the corrected devices. But it is statistically rare.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
And note that if there is some error in the altitude reading, there is a calibration available for that too. See the installation manual for further details on how to accomplish it.

kellym

I love flying!
And note that if there is some error in the altitude reading, there is a calibration available for that too. See the installation manual for further details on how to accomplish it.
This works very well. Knowing the precise elevation of my hangar, and observing altitude after warm-up and applying airport altimeter setting, I have been able to average error and insert a 30 ft correction. IFR certification of static system resulted in no more than 25' error at any altitude, and most were spot on up to 25,000 ft.