Transponder Serial Number?

sunfish

I love flying!
Winding if there is a software readout of the transponder serial number somewhere in the setup dialogues. I need it for registration and it’s going to be two hours work to get at it under the seat to read the label. Yes, I should have recorded it. :p

RV8JD

It's not on the main Transponder Setup Page (shown below), but maybe somewhere else?

i-LrZ3b5B-M.png
i-MbqxtsM-M.png

Last edited:

swatson999

You need the *serial* number of a XPDR for *registration*? That seems...odd.

That being said, I have a complete list of the serials numbers of everything on or in the plane that *has* a serial number. Same goes for all my tools. But then, I'm a bit anal. It did come in handy, though, when both of my Bose A-20s got stolen while on vacation a few years back...insurance ponied right up since I had all that info.

sunfish

I love flying!
Sadly, I’ve lost that box. The S/n may be on the invoice, otherwise it’s get out the spanner. I’ve already checked my build log. Yes, registration people here want serials, model numbers of everything :p

swatson999

Sadly, I’ve lost that box. The S/n may be on the invoice, otherwise it’s get out the spanner. I’ve already checked my build log. Yes, registration people here want serials, model numbers of everything :p

Where are you located? That's a bummer that you have to do that, but you can add it to the list you're making (right?) of all the serialized items on the plane :) FWIW, I have around 50 items on my list for the airplane, not including tools and other items.

jakej

Yes, serial number is on the invoice normally.
just out of curiosity - who wants that info ? SAAA, CASA ? Model & part number I can understand but requiring serial is something Ive not come across.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I don't think it's in software, unfortunately. It's on the unit for sure (though I know that may be a pain to get to). We may be able to help as well. We have shipping records, but that would only be useful if you bought directly from us or from someone that we don't ship to in quantity.

jnmeade

I'm sorry to hear of your challenge. Sometimes a cell phone camera (even shooting "blind") or borescope or even a mirror on a stick has helped me.

swatson999

So what happens if your XPDR fails and has to be replaced? Does your aircraft become legally unairworthy?

sunfish

I love flying!
If it fails you are still airworthy but you are restricted in airspace type to G.

sunfish

I love flying!
Getting a mirror in, or transponder replacement requires seat removal, it’s no big deal, just tedious, hence my query.

jethound

Where did you buy the unit. They have the serial number on their paperwork. If bought from Dynon they have it too,

dbl39

I love flying!
you need it when you do 91.413 IFR transponder check----if it isn't in software (don't think it is), it should be----kind of tough of IFR guy if he doesn't have it when filling out paperwork

swatson999

you need it when you do 91.413 IFR transponder check----if it isn't in software (don't think it is), it should be----kind of tough of IFR guy if he doesn't have it when filling out paperwork

It's not in the menus, and I've had four or five XPDR checks done since finishing the plane 8 years ago, and we never pulled the baggage bulkhead to get back in and look at the serial number. I *have* it, as I have a list of every serialized item on the entire airplane, but I don't recall the technician ever asking for this info.

airguy

It's not in the menus, and I've had four or five XPDR checks done since finishing the plane 8 years ago, and we never pulled the baggage bulkhead to get back in and look at the serial number. I *have* it, as I have a list of every serialized item on the entire airplane, but I don't recall the technician ever asking for this info.
The first time I had mine checked, during Phase I, they asked for it and I didn't have it. Went dumpster diving behind the baggage compartment to pull the transponder to read the serial, and the tech had a sharpie in his hand already - wrote it on top where it can be seen without having to do the dive. Now why didn't I think of that?

swatson999

Well, I stand corrected...looking through my pitot/static/xpdr checks, the serial number of the xpdr is, in fact, on the documents, so I must have just pulled it from my serialization list and given it to them each time, because I know we didn't pull the baggage bulkhead (and it was swapped out a few years back when it failed...Dynon graciously provided a replacement under an "extended warranty", as I recall :)).

Seems like good shop practice, but is it actually *required*? Now I'm curious to know :).