Transponder Setting Warning upon Powerup?

N941WR

I did it again...

My last flight I was given a squawk when passing through class Charlie Airspace close to home. Prior to landing, I didn't reset my transponder to 1200.

Sure enough, a few days later, I'm flying and realize my transponder is still set to the squawk given to me on my prior flight. (I know, I missed it on my preflight.)

Can the SkyView give me some type of warning that the Transponder is not set to 1200? A message similar to the Check Baro warning would be nice.

Thanks!

362PC

Isn’t “XPNDR ALT 1200” part of your pre taxi and or post landing checklists? That is two places to reset.

N941WR

Isn’t “XPNDR ALT 1200” part of your pre taxi and or post landing checklists? That is two places to reset.
Everyone misses stuff every now and then.

Regardless, why not use the technology?

skysailor

What type of transponder do you have? If it is the Dynon unit you can have the current squawk displayed at the very top of the screen. It will also show the mode (GND, ALT). May also be possible with other digital units but easy with the Dynon transponder.

Rhino

He already has that. He wants it to do more, like flash a warning, make a sound, or maybe tap him on the shoulder. There's a myriad of things we could be reminded of prior to flight. It's just a question of what is most useful and has the most universal appeal. It might be useful to those who regularly fly VFR. But, since not everyone does that, this wouldn't have universal appeal.

jakej

It's one of those things - if you want full automation then I wonder what flying is about for those people, having checklists is part of the 'fun' & discipline - next thing is someone will want a parachute & a Dynon widget advising it has indeed been deployed - get over it !

N941WR

So those that who say I should use my checklist, which I do, what I am suggesting is no different than the SV prompting you to check your altimeter setting upon boot up. Maybe that should be removed since it will be / should be caught on your checklist?

Rhino

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just maybe not a higher priority. There seems to have been several issues recently indicating they run up against size limitations in the system for software. If true, they'd be pretty picky about prioritizing possible upgrades. Given the number of things they'd probably like to add, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a high priority, but I could be wrong.

jakej

Bill, I hear you however to expand on my point - this is the first time I’ve heard of this type of request so I’d suggest it would be a low priority ‘enhancement’ considering most of us would automatically check the Txpdr settings as well as comm frequencies. I too have missed checking the Txpdr check ;) rarely & have been on the incorrect comm although it was on the screen but the incorrect comm selected. So we could also expand this the Navs & GPS’s - see where I’m going with this?
More to the point is I figure it would be a low priority in Dynon‘s feature list given the workload they must have had in recent times 😉.