Unofficial Dynon Skyview Update Script for MacOS

robby

If any of you are Mac users and comfortable running commands at a terminal, I built a small script to make it easier to update Skyview with the latest Seattle Avionics chart data. The way it works is: you log into SA to get the latest password and filename prefix, and then the updater downloads all the files and creates a disk image in the proper format with the proper directory structures. Then you can write the disk image to any compatible USB drive using any tool of your choice.

I realize this isn't very user friendly in its current form, but it's saved me hours of hassle, so I thought I'd post it in case it helps anybody else.

robby

After posting this yesterday, I added support to also pull in the latest Skyview software and aviation/obstacles database. It currently pulls Certified versions but it'd be easy to add Experimental if there's any interest.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Very cool. So this bypasses the need for both a Windows computer and the download manager software? I don't use a Mac and not yet fly IFR but would be willing to write a similar script for Windows computers so the download manager, which I suspect uses FTP, could be tossed in the recycle bin.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I see the WGET cmd is supported by Powershell, as well, which gives me a head start. Is there a reason you are creating a disk image vs just copying files to the USB drive. The image will nuke what is on the drive already (e.g. engine data, backups, etc.)

robby

I see the WGET cmd is supported by Powershell, as well, which gives me a head start. Is there a reason you are creating a disk image vs just copying files to the USB drive. The image will nuke what is on the drive already (e.g. engine data, backups, etc.)
I have three displays/drives, so I create a disk image and then write them all at once with Etcher.

You're in luck though. My script puts everything in a directory before it writes the disk image, so you can just change OUTPUT_DIR to your USB drive. Be sure to remove this line.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Thanks, that was the plan. I'll just prompt for the USB drive letter. I need a Windows user to help test this out. Any volunteers?

Corefile

I have three displays/drives, so I create a disk image and then write them all at once with Etcher.

You're in luck though. My script puts everything in a directory before it writes the disk image, so you can just change OUTPUT_DIR to your USB drive. Be sure to remove this line.
That does not sound right... if you change the OUTPUT_DIR to the USB Drive and it writes to that before the disk image is written to the USB drive, won't all of that get wiped out when the disk image is written to the USB drive?

Raymo

I love aviation!
That does not sound right... if you change the OUTPUT_DIR to the USB Drive and it writes to that before the disk image is written to the USB drive, won't all of that get wiped out when the disk image is written to the USB drive?
The disk image will be skipped to avoid overwriting the drive. I mostly finished the PS script but don't have anyone to test it, so I've put it aside for now.

Corefile

The disk image will be skipped to avoid overwriting the drive. I mostly finished the PS script but don't have anyone to test it, so I've put it aside for now.
I'm not a windows user so can't test for you - but also taking this script as a starting point (thanks Robby!). I'm not using disk images, and using rsync to copy the engine logs from the USB drive to a local dir to keep a backup of all my logs - rsync will only copy any new engine logs that have not already been backed up, and then copy all the software updates and map updates to the USB.

Last edited:

Corefile

Actually question @robby for the charts downloads part of the script- I normally only download western states and mexico. Is the script copying all charts? Meaning I will now be copying over much more then just the western states that I normally have?

edit: looking at the script again - yes that is what it does - I suppose if I really wanted just the sections that I normally load - I could specify them, there is a link that specifies each sectional specifically

Last edited:

Corefile

I've been working on a script that is based on this original script - but added some features, and handles Charts being on different schedules - some 28 days or 56 - at some point they have two different passwords and fold dir because of the 2 different schedules, and then I also added a bit of a menu to make it easier. Still optimizing it - and fixing a few things.
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.22.21 PM.png

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I've been working on a script that is based on this original script - but added some features, and handles Charts being on different schedules - some 28 days or 56 - at some point they have two different passwords and fold dir because of the 2 different schedules, and then I also added a bit of a menu to make it easier. Still optimizing it - and fixing a few things.
Any chance of having a script that doesn't require downloading development software (WGET and all the things required to make that work) to use? I have a dead stock 15" Macbook Pro from Early 2013 running Catalina (10.15.7). Tried to install WGET and fell down that rabbit hole - gave up...

Corefile

Any chance of having a script that doesn't require downloading development software (WGET and all the things required to make that work) to use? I have a dead stock 15" Macbook Pro from Early 2013 running Catalina (10.15.7). Tried to install WGET and fell down that rabbit hole - gave up...
Do you have curl available?

Corefile

you can use curl then - since the script is explicitly setting the file name to download. The version of curl that is packaged with macOS does not have the ability to set the directory to write to - so you will need to change the script to cd to the directory, curl, and cd back. Or you can just wait for me to update my script as I was planning on removing wget and using curl as well - so its more mac portable.