Upgrade from ASPEN to Skyview

Oscar Avalle

Let me introduce myself first. I am Oscar Avalle, I own a M20C and I do quite a lot of international flying, in particular all over the Americas. I like my plane, but I feel that the ASPEN screen is rather small and cluttered. So I have been looking at options... among those the G500TXi (the G3X does not interact with the STEC55x). I have been looking at options to upgrade my current configuration of an ASPEN, G5, GDL88, GTN750/650 and STEC55x autopilot to an Dynon. My question are:

a) ihow the STEC55X interphases with the Dynon. Would I be able to control the STEC from the Dynon (altitude preselect and VS) and would the FD work?

b) Also, given that I have already 2 G5 as back up, do I also need an additional Dynon?

c) I also have a JPI 900, can I use the probes? Or do I need to get everything new?

d) Last but not least how do the other boxes, GDL88 and stormscope, play with the Dynon? Any interphase issues?

In advance, I would like to thank you for any advice...

Oscar

Eugr

Integrations-wise, Dynon is more like G3X than G500, so it doesn’t interface with wide variety of equipment (other than panel GPS) outside of its own ecosystem.
As for your specific questions:

1. It doesn’t integrate with STEC or any other non-Dynon autopilot. Some people managed to get it working with TruTrak, but I don’t believe it’s “official” integration.

2. You can’t use G5 as a backup, as HDX was certified only with Dynon D10A as a standby. I also had G5 prior to the upgrade and I had to take it out.

3. Not sure, better ask Dynon. Likely not, but it’s easy to replace and not that expensive.

4. GTN will play nice with Dynon, but HDX won’t interface with GDL88 or any stormscope. It has it’s own ADS-B “in” solution (very inexpensive).

Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Eugr basically has it right.

On 3 - the EGTs and CHTs will almost definitely be reusable, as will the fuel flow if you have it. Those are most of the more expensive sensors. Reach out to our team (contact info in signature), or, we now have a virtual consultation option. One of our experts can talk to you all about the engine probes and other interfaces in details.