USB GPS Used with PC to send GPS to D10A or AP

coryadams

I have 2 D10As and have recently purchased and am installing 2 servos and an AP-74.

My GPS consists of a PC USB WAAS GPS hooked to a Motion Tablet PC using Seattle Avionics package which is nice and has IFR approach overlays .... so on and so forth..

I would like to know if it is possible to send the GPS sentences back out the USB and convert to serial such that the D10As and AP could use them?

Has anybody attempted this?

Thanks,

Cory

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As far as we know, the SA stuff doesn't output a NMEA sentence, so there's nothing for us to listen to and follow.

If you contact them and get them to add that to the software, there's really no reason it won't work.

coryadams

I mistakenly said SA when I meant AviationSafety.com's package. They also do not send the NMEA sentence back out but have stated that they would support this feature in the future......

The PCAvionics Mountain Scope package does support this feature (but no approach overlays).

So if I use the PCAvionics package how would I feed the NMEA sentences back out of the USB to a D10A? Their documentation makes no mention of the how this is accomplished but merely links to several AP providers on their website.

Thanks,

Cory

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's going to vary by device, since their software can run on a variety of devices. PCAvionics might be able to help you a bit on the device output end of things. Fundamentally, you only need to connect the RS232 transmit (once you have it) from whatever device you have to one of the RS232 receive pins on our products (that part is covered in our installation manual).

coryadams

From looking at the docs for the EFIS to PC connection used to update the firmware it appears as though that connection is the serial connection?

Can I assume that if I am able to currently use the USB to Serial cable I picked up from you to do the firmware updates that I have what I need from a cabling standpoint to talk to the EFIS via RS232 (provided my GPS nav software can be configured to send the proper sentences back out this COM port?)?

If not the folks at B and B have a USB to RS232 adapter.

The AviationSafety.com / TrueMap developers have offered me the ability to beta test their new AP features for which I said I would be using with the Dynon AP. Update forthcoming this week and they have it working with the Trio now.

Thanks,

Cory

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, if you can get your GPS software to output NMEA to the COM port that's created by the USB-Serial converter, that could conceivably work.