USB size?

sdairtech

I am installing my first HDX system in a Cessna 182P. My customer is wondering what size USB memory stick to get? Thank you in advance!

airguy

Depends on what charts he wants - VFR only with the 50 states will work fine on a 16GB stick, if you want IFR approach plates and Hi/Lo enroute you'll need a 32GB.

sdairtech

Depends on what charts he wants - VFR only with the 50 states will work fine on a 16GB stick, if you want IFR approach plates and Hi/Lo enroute you'll need a 32GB.
Perfect, Ill let him know to get the 32GB. Thank You

kellym

I love flying!
I just bought 3 - 64 GB usb replacements from Amazon for $32.00 each. Cheap insurance
There seem to be more formatting issues with 64GB versions, a few on 32GB versions. I have loaded the entire US Sectionals and IFR LO charts on a 16GB. More important is the speed. Get USB 3 or 3.1. USB 2.0 is too slow. IIRC the SanDisk Ultra Fit tiny drives in 32 GB are about $8 ea.

RV8JD

Page 23-4 of the Skyview System Installation Guide says USB 2.0.

My experience has been that using a USB 3.0 or 3.1 flash drive significantly shortens the time required to save screenshots to the flash drive as compared to USB 2.0 flash drives, probably due to faster write speeds of those drives.

Last edited:

kellym

I love flying!
Page 23-4 of the Skyview System Installation Guide says USB 2.0.

My experience has been that using a USB 3.0 or 3.1 flash drive significantly shortens the time required to save screenshots to the flash drive as compared to USB 2.0 flash drives, probably due to faster write speeds of those drives.
Argreed that the screens are likely USB 2.0, but what matters is how long it takes to update on your computer, which if less than 5 yrs old should have USB 3. Speed isn't as critical when transferring data to the screen

Mooney231

I have found the SanDisk mini USB prevents HDX from booting on start-up. If I shut everything down, take out the stick and re-start, HDX comes up just fine. I have since purchased other USBs and they don't have the same problem - I can keep them plugged in all the time and HDX boots successfully on start-up.

felix1973

I have found the SanDisk mini USB prevents HDX from booting on start-up. If I shut everything down, take out the stick and re-start, HDX comes up just fine. I have since purchased other USBs and they don't have the same problem - I can keep them plugged in all the time and HDX boots successfully on start-up.
Which USB did you purchase that worked well?

Eugr

I bought a new generation of slim SanDisk ones (SanDisk Slim Fit 32GB or something like that) and they prevented the screens to boot up. Based on the previous posts it has something to do with USB 3.1.

I then went ahead and bought older 32GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit (USB 2.0) and they work just fine:
SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MPCJDXS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

felix1973

I bought a new generation of slim SanDisk ones (SanDisk Slim Fit 32GB or something like that) and they prevented the screens to boot up. Based on the previous posts it has something to do with USB 3.1.

I then went ahead and bought older 32GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit (USB 2.0) and they work just fine:
SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MPCJDXS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I am using the exact same USB memory: SanDisk Slim Fit 32GB. Just ordered the ones you recommended and will report back if that solves the problem for me as well. Thank you very much for that advice!

RV8JD

I've been using a couple of SanDisk Ultra 32GB USB 3.0 drives (Old Generation) successfully in a SkyView Touch for about 3 years. The USB 3.0 protocol exhibits noticeably faster screenshot saves to the USB drive compared to the 2.0 protocol drives I had before. Don't know if they will work with the HDX.

Still available at:

Last edited:

Eugr

I am using the exact same USB memory: SanDisk Slim Fit 32GB. Just ordered the ones you recommended and will report back if that solves the problem for me as well. Thank you very much for that advice!

It has a slimmer profile as well:

A04CDF5B-DA44-47A6-BCA7-9374A49E62B2.jpeg

Mooney231

Sorry for the late reply. I purchased one Lexar 32GM, USB 3.1 and one PNY 64GM, USB 3.1 and both work fine. Both are very small, like in the picture Eugr posted. Who would have thought that an the older technology USB would work better...

kellym

I love flying!
Sorry for the late reply. I purchased one Lexar 32GM, USB 3.1 and one PNY 64GM, USB 3.1 and both work fine. Both are very small, like in the picture Eugr posted. Who would have thought that an the older technology USB would work better...
There are some unexplained anomolys. A friend got a San Disk Ultra Fit 32 GB, USB 3.1. It caused boot problems on both the Classic screen in his Kitfox, and the HDX in his RV-8. I exchanged him identical Ultra Fit I was using with my 2 Classic screens, and his drive works fine in my plane, and the one I gave him works fine in his planes. The only suggestion I have seen that might be involved is to NOT format them with the Seattle Avionics app. Either leave them alone, or reformat with Windows, and then manually add the SkyviewUSA folder that is required. You only need 16GB to hold all charts for lower 48 states.

Eugr

The only suggestion I have seen that might be involved is to NOT format them with the Seattle Avionics app. Either leave them alone, or reformat with Windows, and then manually add the SkyviewUSA folder that is required. You only need 16GB to hold all charts for lower 48 states.

FWIV, the USB stick that gave me troubles during boot up was not formatted with Seattle Avionics app. I used my Mac for this, so I just removed everything that was already there and manually extracted files there. It worked just fine if I put the stick in after the screen is started up, but would hang the boot process.

The ones that work are formatted with Seattle Avionics app though, but I don’t think it has anything to do with it.

Rhino

You can buy USB ports specifically made for aircraft, but they're hugely expensive. The possible downside to a cheap connector is they can occasionally produce noise on your audio system. That shouldn't be an issue if everything is designed and installed correctly though. Even if it does happen, you can try about 50 different cheap connectors before you get to what you'd spend for an 'aircraft' connector. That's what I'm doing.