Usefulness of KNOB and PANEL?

jnmeade

I'm finally installing new dual SkyView 10" Classic Touch that have been lying around for several years. I'm looking for feedback on the usefulness of adding SV-AP-KNOB and SV-AP-PANEL as opposed to simply using the SkyView knobs and menus. I will be flying cross-country, and I will be occasionally flying light IFR.
My friend has them in his plane and says the main benefit is it removes a level or layer of menu compared to using the knobs and menus on the SkyView.
1. I will have two SkyViews. Can I set the knobs on them so they are more or less 'dedicated" to BARO, ATL, HDG and use them as ersatz KNOB knobs or is this not feasible? I want things intuitive and simple.
2. At about $1000 or more to add both KNOB and PANEL, cables and install labor, and cut the display panel to accept them, is the pay-back worth it? I realize this is a subjective question.
The main focus of my questions is the pilot who flies in busy airspace, cross-country and some IFR or Flight Following.
Thanks.

ackselle

I love flying!
The knob panel is VERY nice and much more user friendly and easy to use than the screen knobs.

I had a knob panel on my initial install....then I had it removed for space considerations when I filled the space with and IFR radio....after flying without for a few months, I "made" space for the knobs. I have them back now and would not build a Dynon system without.

DHeal

I initially flew for some 400 hours on my RV-12 / Skyview without the KNOB/PANEL -- this worked fine albeit with a bit more knob/button manipulation (though somewhat problematic when flying IFR). What caused me to subsequently buy and install the KNOB/PANEL was the "auto-trim" function available through the AP-PANEL box -- the Skyview AP now electronically talks directly to my trim motor so that I do not have to manually trim the aircraft. With now over 860+ hours on my RV-12 I think the benefits of the two boxes far outweigh the cost and hassle of installation.

ned

I love flying!
I was a holdout installing the panels as I have two 10" one touch one non touch. I have found flying with ATC having dedicated knobs and buttons makes response much quicker and safer with ATC barking sudden changes to altitude or heading in congested airspace. Autotrim is worth the cost also. No brainer in my opinion.

kellym

I love flying!
I'm finally installing new dual SkyView 10" Classic Touch that have been lying around for several years. I'm looking for feedback on the usefulness of adding SV-AP-KNOB and SV-AP-PANEL as opposed to simply using the SkyView knobs and menus. I will be flying cross-country, and I will be occasionally flying light IFR.
My friend has them in his plane and says the main benefit is it removes a level or layer of menu compared to using the knobs and menus on the SkyView.
1. I will have two SkyViews. Can I set the knobs on them so they are more or less 'dedicated" to BARO, ATL, HDG and use them as ersatz KNOB knobs or is this not feasible? I want things intuitive and simple.
2. At about $1000 or more to add both KNOB and PANEL, cables and install labor, and cut the display panel to accept them, is the pay-back worth it? I realize this is a subjective question.
The main focus of my questions is the pilot who flies in busy airspace, cross-country and some IFR or Flight Following.
Thanks.
I have two 10" Classic screens, and added over time those to panels. I use them all the time in my RV-10. The autotrim is helpful, cuts workload. Using the knob panels directly instead of going into menus is terrific. I used to be annoyed that I had to go into one menu to set pitch mode, then go back and into roll menu to do the same. So simple to set an altitude change, then punch the up or down arrow to initiate the change.
I assume you are only talking about your time to do the install. Mostly just connecting network cables and re-routing the trim wires.
Pretty easy to make the cutouts with the templates and file to final fit.

jakej

IMO the Knob Panel is one of those items that once used most people would not go back & operate without it, relatively cheap at $220 too & simple to 'plug & play' with the rest of the network items :cool:

XPRSAV8R

Biggest value of the AP-PANEL in my opinion is auto-trim! Sure, the other buttons reduce the layered menus/buttons from the SkyView displays ONLY if you plan to use the advanced AP functions. They will do nothing if using the simplified AP controls.

The AP-KNOB is beneficial when paired with the AP-PANEL.

Janekom

I love flying!
You will not regret it. I have had both in my RV10 and when the workload goes up as in when you are flying IF, I do not want to be without it.

ty1295

I did install the AP panel and love the fact it does autotrim, as well as contains the needed relays. I did not install the knob panel, but left room and can't wait to get one and install it. Will be much nicer than using the screen knob for sure. I vote to install both, you won't regret it.

Walt

IMO the Knob Panel is one of those items that once used most people would not go back & operate without it, relatively cheap at $220 too & simple to 'plug & play' with the rest of the network items :cool:
The Knob-Panel looks great, but I am curious as to how to "plug it in" to my Skyview 10" monitor. Both 9-pin connectors on the back of the unit are in use.

Walt

Next question: There are two connectors on back of unit.....Does the Knob-Panel have to be connected to both 10" screens?

andresmith76

I love flying!
All devices that utilize the Skyview network, including the EFIS displays, knob panel, auto pilot panel, com/radio panel, ADAHRS, etc. need to be connected to the network. You can accomplish this by connecting both screens to the network hub mentioned above. Once the screens are part of the network, the 2nd 9-pin connector on the back of each screen becomes an additional port on the network. The Skyview System Installers Guide does a good job explaining the network setup (sections 2-2 and 4-18). I've attached a PDF document I received from Dynon Tech Support that diagrams the Skyview Network (orange lines) and Skyview serial connections (green lines) and the equipment that connects to these lines.

Attachments

• SkyView Data Communication.pdf
    862.1 KB · Views: 369

jakej

Next question: There are two connectors on back of unit.....Does the Knob-Panel have to be connected to both 10" screens?
In a word- No. it can be connected to any 1x Dynon device that has a spare 9pin dsub connector, or if one is not available then you would need a SV-NET-SPL. Whichever way you go don’t forget to do a system config.

Walt

Thanks Jake, Using the splitter sounds easy. Can you give any details regarding the system config procedure?

Walt