USER_LOG_DATA Question

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
It seems that a new USER_LOG_DATA file is created in my EMS-220 each time I turn on the Battery (Master). Is there any way to create USER_LOG_DATA only when the engine is running?

swatson999

Define "running". :) Above X RPMs? Positive oil pressure?

Seriously, though...I think you want it to start logging *before* engine start, not after, so that you can see the initial start and rise in appropriate parameters.

Most of us use SavvyAnalysis, and you can just delete non-flights from the list after uploading the data.

ETA: Is it actually creating a new file? Or just a new entry into the file that you download? A new *file* every time you turn on the system would be highly unusual.

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
Ok that is exactly why I posted the question. I am also using Savvy and they have to sift through a ton on non engine runs to get to the actual engine runs. I'll have to figure out how to remove the non engine run logs.

Thanks!

Raymo

I love aviation!
Ok that is exactly why I posted the question. I am also using Savvy and they have to sift through a ton on non engine runs to get to the actual engine runs. I'll have to figure out how to remove the non engine run logs.

Thanks!
If you are opening a ticket with Savvy Analysis, you'll associate a flight with the ticket, though going back to earlier flights is common to look for trends. The time of each "flight" is visible in the system.

dougnlina

I love flying!
I think once you start flying you will find it to be somewhat of a non-issue as the frequency of "non-start" master switch boot-ups will go down to almost nil...

preid

Just choose “show short flights” at bottom for the times it logs power up for updates, etc..
for longer flights, you won’t even notice the time from turn on to start up to flying.

swaneymj

So can anybody tell me why when you download the User Log Data, you also get Alert Data and Black Box Log data as well? I usually clear the data after downloading it, then save it to the cloud for future reference.

swatson999

So can anybody tell me why when you download the User Log Data, you also get Alert Data and Black Box Log data as well? I usually clear the data after downloading it, then save it to the cloud for future reference.
Section 26, Appendix F, Installation Manual.

swaneymj

swatson999, I think you missed my intent. I realize that Appendix F discusses 3 user data log files (or 4 if you count the history log):
1. User Data Log: The USER_LOG_DATA.csv is the one of most interest in daily analysis of performance and operational troubleshooting.
2. Alert Data Log: From the manual - "The ALERT_DATA.csv is allocated 2 MB which may be sufficient to record more than 1500 hours of operation assuming as many as 10 alerts per hour."
3. Recent Flight Data Log: Downloaded as BLACK_BOX_LOG_DATA.csv, it records the most recent 15 minutes of flight at a data recording rate of 16 times per second.
What I was getting at is when you use the export function, 3 data files are downloaded (USER, ALERT and BLACK_BOX). What I do is export after each flight or two so I can upload only the USER data file to SavvyAnaylsis. After exporting, I use CLEAR ALL DATA to erase the User Data Log, Recent Flight Data Log, and Alert Data Log since that is the only "CLEAR" option. Otherwise, the USER data files start to accumulate and grow in size making it a bit clumsy to sort through. But as mentioned, the Alert Data Log can record more the 1500 hours of operation. I really don't want to download and delete it, but that's the only option available if I want to download the User Log. Likewise, the Recent Flight Data Log (BLACK_BOX) is essentially self clearing but is downloaded and cleared with the other 2.
I know this is just nitpicking, but it would be my preference to have another option to just download and clear the User data log only, since the other 2 files seem to take care of themselves and don't really need to be cleared frequently if at all.
I hope someone can point out if I'm missing something, or if there is a simpler way to regularly download just the User Log Data.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I experienced the same annoyance...seeing lots of "flight" on Savvy and then clicking that flight to see a bunch of level colorful lines on the screen.

My work around is to export the user data files for a real flights immediately after landing and then go in the office and verify I have the data in my computer. Then just prior to the next real flight I export the user data files for the stationary ground "flights" and turn off the SV screens and then format the USB drive to scrub it clean of all of the data that produces the level colorful lines and now I have a clean USB and turn on the screens and go fly'in...repeat...

It would be a nice feature for SV to ignore all of the "flights" that have zero oil pressure and then if the screens are humming and it sees oil pressure it will only consider that user data file to be worthy of recording.

swatson999

I experienced the same annoyance...seeing lots of "flight" on Savvy and then clicking that flight to see a bunch of level colorful lines on the screen.

My work around is to export the user data files for a real flights immediately after landing and then go in the office and verify I have the data in my computer. Then just prior to the next real flight I export the user data files for the stationary ground "flights" and turn off the SV screens and then format the USB drive to scrub it clean of all of the data that produces the level colorful lines and now I have a clean USB and turn on the screens and go fly'in...repeat...

It would be a nice feature for SV to ignore all of the "flights" that have zero oil pressure and then if the screens are humming and it sees oil pressure it will only consider that user data file to be worthy of recording.
Doesn't Savvy's show/hide short flights feature take care of this? I don't see any of these unless I specifically tell it to "show" them (with the odd exception of times I may be running on shore power for a somewhat longer period of time or the like).

hoyden

I download user data logs after every flight. I would like an option to automatically clear the user data logs after downloading.

thibault

Doesn't Savvy's show/hide short flights feature take care of this? I don't see any of these unless I specifically tell it to "show" them (with the odd exception of times I may be running on shore power for a somewhat longer period of time or the like).
Help, I'm going blind!!!!! Can't find "show/hide short flights" on Savvy.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
So...after my last post I did a number of system power ups then offs when I was doing maintenance...then before the flight I stuck the USB in the panel and exported user settings in an effort to get rid of all of the "no flights" and then formatted the USB stick and then went for a flight.

When I came back I exported the user data and then uploaded it to Savvy and then on the Savvy Flights screen I see TEN additional flights were added and 9 of them were the "no flights".

It is really frustrating to have to click through 10 "flights" just to find the one flight with real data.

Does anyone else have a good work around?

THANKS!!!

preid

Help, I'm going blind!!!!! Can't find "show/hide short flights" on Savvy.
Just choose “view all flight “ than “show short flights” at bottom right of screen for the times it logs
than click “duration” it will put all 0 and low times in order or from most to least, if clicked again.