Vertical Speed tape instead of a number

Twomoons

After having flown with the D10A EFIS for a while in VFR and IFR conditions it appears to me that one has to focus on the number being displayed in the VS (Vertical Speed) box to determine a climbing or descending trend. If the VS were displayed as a colored vertical tape adjacent to the altitude tape with the scale being programable it would be much more user friendly. It should be similar to the rate of turn tape only orenited vertically.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi TwoMoons,

An analog indicator for the vertical speed is a great idea. I'll forward your idea to the guys that work on the display. If enough people want it, maybe they can add that option in a future software release.

Chasspin

I agree the analog display would be nice to have.

I do have one question about the D-10, is the vertical speed calculated by the change in pressure (in other words works like the steam gauge VSI with a lag in the data displayed ) or is it calculated using the accelerometers? If the accelerometers are used what is the lag of the data display ( is it instantaneous like the VSI fed from the interial system on most jets?).

Thanks
Charlie

M

Michael Grass(Guest)

Yes,
this is actaly one thing what I could not anderstand why it was not incorporated in the first SW release. A number is fine, but our brain needs to much time to process it. A VSI tape would be a great addition.

Michael Grass

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Charlie,
The VSI is calculated off of pressure changes on the static port. There is some lag and filtering associated with this.

Michael,
The VSI was implemented as it is because it fits in the text window that was availible to us and because it didn't take up too much screen real estate. In the D10 we were very pressed for memory and processor cycles so we couldn't add more graphical elements. In the D10A we have more flexibility and we will consider this as a future addition.

Cam

How about instead of an anolag display, use the three lines of text that are already used in that area. Have the number toggle between the upper and lower position depending on climbing or desending.

Something like this:

+500
VSI VSI