Virtual-DME with MGL N16

RV14_TD

from pilot user guide, page 4-2:
"When a NAV radio decodes the identifier for a frequency, SkyView displays it in the HSI info area and tries to match the identifier to the same one in its aviation database. When it finds a match, it displays Virtual-DME (non-certified) distance in magenta'
here is my setup: HDX running the latest and greatest firmware connected to MGL N16, both units interface bi-diractionally, I can set nav radio frequency and change OBS, no problems whatsoever, but the virtual DME
here is how I operate it:
1. set the N16 frequency from HDX
2. N16 would tune to the station and display the appropriate station identifier
3. HDX would display the nav radio indication on HSI, but not the virtual DME
what might be going on?
anybody else experiencing similar problems?
to muddy the waters a little bit, I'm using European nav database from pocketfms
Is it possible that the database contains proper nav radio frequencies but for whatever reason station identifier name in the pocketfms database would not much with the station identifier send from N16 to HDX?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I think your last sentence probably covers it. I don't know the deep technicals, but I think the the VOR IDs would need to match exactly.

d3mac123

from pilot user guide, page 4-2:
"When a NAV radio decodes the identifier for a frequency, SkyView displays it in the HSI info area and tries to match the identifier to the same one in its aviation database. When it finds a match, it displays Virtual-DME (non-certified) distance in magenta'
here is my setup: HDX running the latest and greatest firmware connected to MGL N16, both units interface bi-diractionally, I can set nav radio frequency and change OBS, no problems whatsoever, but the virtual DME
here is how I operate it:
1. set the N16 frequency from HDX
2. N16 would tune to the station and display the appropriate station identifier
3. HDX would display the nav radio indication on HSI, but not the virtual DME
what might be going on?
anybody else experiencing similar problems?
to muddy the waters a little bit, I'm using European nav database from pocketfms
Is it possible that the database contains proper nav radio frequencies but for whatever reason station identifier name in the pocketfms database would not much with the station identifier send from N16 to HDX?
How did you set your HDX to be able to set N16 frequencies from the display? In my setup, (N16 connect to HDX via Advance Control Module), I cannot see anything (frequency nor HSI) from the N16 on the HDX. - see my other thread here https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/n16-usage-with-skyview.14980/

Thanks for the help!

RV14_TD

Did have a look at your photo. Looks like N16 does not communicate with HDX over the com port. Or does it? I would start from there. Once you establish two way connection between the two boxes all will be well.
and BTW I'm very happy with the N16, works flawlessly

d3mac123

I have it configured as per instructions from Advanced and MGL (but probably there is something wrong with the connection) because, like I said, I couldn't find a way to see it in the HDX.

If I may, where in the HDX do you see the N16 frequencies? The top bar?

d3mac123

I guess my question was how can you input the frequency and send it to N16? With the COM, all I do is touch it, tap the numbers and it is done. How can I do that for the NAV radio? I hope the question it is clear.

RV14_TD

select VOR station on the info page on HDX, press "send to nav" button
N16 receives the standby frequency
on the N16 press the right button, and you are tuned to the station

d3mac123

@RV14_TD which setup are you using in your Serial configuration? (btw, my setup is an N16 connected to a Vega head).

I double-checked my wiring and it is looking good. Then I focused on the Dynon setup and changed from SL30 to GNC225 and GTR225 - In these setups, I see the Dynon TX counter numbers going up but the Vega is not receiving anything. However, nothing coming from the RX counter.

I am pretty confident the issue is with the Serial in Device template. Checking the MGL Vega manual, it says:
Note: SL30 and GNC225 options can be used with only a N16 connected (this is my case)
Unfortunately, the SL30 option is not working at all and there is NO GNC225 option in Dynon's list.

I am curious to see how are you getting your TX/RX data from/to the N16. Do you have also a V16?

RV14_TD

Here is my setup
No V16

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58

d3mac123

Thank you! I tried to replicate it here but, emulating the SL30 on Dynon does not send anything. I can only getting TX if I set to GNC225. I'll keep digging.

RV14_TD

Happy to hear you made it!
As the N16 is concerned my only complaint is that it doesn’t dim enough at night.

d3mac123

This is something I'll handle when I get there :) still learning about the plane so, night flights are not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks again for your help!

Ccandrews

I love flying!
Just made it to work after revisiting the wires. Thanks for the patience!
Wait…. Did you get the virtual DME on localizer to work with a SL30? or just VOR? My SL30 communicates just fine with my skyview,, identifies stations, has DME on VOR, but the virtual DME on LOC never populates.