VNAV

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I have the latest version of the SV software and I am wondering if VNAV is available in SV. Is there a place where you can enter crossing altitudes and then see the VSR for the next waypoint? Or is a GPS navigator like GTN 650 required?

On a similar topic... I am not sure how this feature works...so as an example I have a flight plan with a number of waypoints added to dodge the weather and restricted areas and I upload that flight plan from ForeFlight to the SV display and I can see the new fixes on the SV map and I even see VSR DEST displayed and I stay at cruise altitude until it shows 500 FPM and I start to descent. So this means that the VSR DEST is smart enough to calculate the descent rate to accomodate for all of the enroute fixes...that is pretty handy...then I see on FF they have a "procedure" section where they offer different visual approaches to the airport and I think how cool I will pick the "45 degree entry to left downwind" and I add it to the FF map route, I see all the new fixes on the FF map, and I press the old "upload to Panel" button and I hear the little girl say "Flight Plan Uploaded" and I see all of the new fixes on the SV map screen...HOWEVER I look at the VSR DEST expecting it to have calculated the vertical speed required to accomodate for the added distance caused by the new fixes however the VSR DEST is blank and just stays that way...

Am I doing something wrong???

THANKS for any tips and tricks

skysailor

Currently Dynon does not offer enroute VNAV. The VNAV profile which is calculated and can be flown when your flight plan ends with an airport. Version 16 changed the behavior such that the VNAV prompt is not offered (and cannot be armed) until very close to Top of Descent. Your VSR would alter if you added additional distance in your routing but that does not apply to the Foreflight visual landing pattern depiction likely because they expect you will establish the correct pattern altitude and fly the pattern based on your performance while regarding spacing for other aircraft of which the system is not aware.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I am reading the SV Pilot User Guide about VNAV and it is not easy to understand so hopefully I can get some help. I also looked for a video on the subject and no joy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

How do I setup the SV VNAV system when I want to...

-Enter a number of fixes on the map that will lead me to my airport (example I plot a route around mountains and then a 5 NM straight in final)

-I am sitting at 5500 MSL and I want the VNAV to fly the airplane along the route including the straight in final leg all while maintaining a 3.0 degree Glide Path (or 500 FPM).

Thanks for the help...I just cannot seem to understand the manual nor can I find a good training video.

Bud_Keil

I am reading the SV Pilot User Guide about VNAV and it is not easy to understand so hopefully I can get some help. I also looked for a video on the subject and no joy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

How do I setup the SV VNAV system when I want to...

-Enter a number of fixes on the map that will lead me to my airport (example I plot a route around mountains and then a 5 NM straight in final)

-I am sitting at 5500 MSL and I want the VNAV to fly the airplane along the route including the straight in final leg all while maintaining a 3.0 degree Glide Path (or 500 FPM).

Thanks for the help...I just cannot seem to understand the manual nor can I find a good training video.
Bump. I’m in the same situation. Autopilot video #5 of their training series lead up to Vnav. That was 5 yrs ago. 😳

MaydayMayday

I saw this post and I was wondering if I can build a VNAV VFR arrival into my home airport.

Same example as above, it would be great to plot out a course in ForeFlight that flies around mountains that leads to a 5 NM straight in final to my airport and then I could fly the lateral course and VPATH down to the runway.

I have a SV classic and a GTN-650.

Is there any way to do this?

thanks

airguy

VNAV currently does not allow for any specific altitude crossing at a fix, unless that's being fed to it from an IFR receiver through the 429. Skyview itself only generates VNAV for the 2-degree downslope approach into an airport to the pattern altitude, and will not work on any other fix.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

VNAV currently does not allow for any specific altitude crossing at a fix, unless that's being fed to it from an IFR receiver through the 429. Skyview itself only generates VNAV for the 2-degree downslope approach into an airport to the pattern altitude, and will not work on any other fix.
Well, almost. Per the User Guide, Rev J, pages 5-56 and 5-57, the approach angle, the distance at the airport and the altitude at the airport descent point are all configurable - it's not confined to pattern altitude or 2 degrees.

So if one has a home airport and would like to setup the equivalent of a VFR approach to it that clears all terrain/obstacles, one could create a USER WAYPOINT at the 5NM point from the runway threshold, set the altitude at the threshold to zero AGL and set the distance to the threshold to zero. Set the glideslope angle to whatever is needed (3 deg to 5 deg) to clear terrain/obstacles. Then VNAV/NAV would fly you down to the threshold on the GS you defined, and all you need to do is flare.

The problem with this is that you can't set these three variables on a per-airport basis - they're global. So if you do the above for your home airport, it will attempt to do the same at ANY airport at which you're going and you turn on VNAV - if your runway is 6000 ft. long, so you set the distance to 1/2NM (if that's even possible - I'd have to check - 1 NM might be the minimum) and the altitude to 0 ft AGL, the VNAV will attempt to put you on the ground 1/2 NM from the airport location definition no matter where you're going. That's probably NOT a good idea, even VFR.

And with respect to the OP's questions about VSR, etc., these bugs and behaviors have been described in other threads - the VSR is buggy and doesn't work when used with an external Navigator, although I've found that if one puts the same FP in both the Garmin 175 and the SV, switches FP to the SV to get a VSR, and then switches back to the 175, USUALLY the VSR will stick.

I don't know why it's doing what's described when uploading a VFR approach from FF - no clue.

-Bob

Consider this a feature request then...
Dynon Software Team:
Please add the capability to define visual approach descents on a per-airport basis, rather than global.

> Per the User Guide, Rev J, pages 5-56 and 5-57, the approach angle, the distance at the airport and the altitude at the airport descent point are all configurable - it's not confined to pattern altitude or 2 degrees.
> ...
> The problem with this is that you can't set these three variables on a per-airport basis - they're global.

Rhino

Just a guess on my part, but I imagine the ability to create a homemade, unapproved instrument approach might create problems when Dynon is seeking approvals for certified aircraft. Although systems like this will undoubtedly progress that way in the future, potentially provoking difficulties with the FAA now isn't exactly going to be motivating for Dynon. But, as I said, that's just a guess.

Rhino

Probably $100 for the procedure because you already developed it yourself, plus $500,000 for annoying them by daring to ask a question. This is the gubmint we're talking about.

swatson999

So any idea how much you would likely have to reimburse the FAA for a private procedure? Probably, to much for me, but I’m curious.
To paraphrase a line I heard, from a CFII, many years ago:

Q: How much does a properly designed, approved instrument approach procedure* cost?

A: Not as much as a new behind.

*The original expression involved the cost of a new engine if you ruin one during an emergency descent or something like that.

John Lucas

Probably $100 for the procedure because you already developed it yourself, plus $500,000 for annoying them by daring to ask a question. This is the gubmint we're talking about.
I was thinking the TERPS stuff is just a paperwork exercise at a desk. Flight checking the procedure involves an FAA operated biz jet that I’m sure is very “efficiently” operated.

Rhino

I was thinking the TERPS stuff is just a paperwork exercise at a desk. Flight checking the procedure involves an FAA operated biz jet that I’m sure is very “efficiently” operated.
Efficient? We're still talking about the government, right? ;)

swatson999

Efficient? We're still talking about the government, right? ;)
Can we refrain from the anti-government innuendos? Some people here *ahem* work for the government, and take offense at the snide comments.

How about we just stick to the topic? Somebody wants to make up their own instrument approach.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Can we refrain from the anti-government innuendos? Some people here *ahem* work for the government, and take offense at the snide comments.
Agreed.
Somebody wants to make up their own instrument approach.
Actually, @Dynon101 said nothing about IFR approaches, and @-Bob explicitly said "VFR Approach". You can infer what you like, but no one mentioned inventing IFR approaches, and there are a zillion VFR approaches in the Garmin Navigator database. Maybe even one to the airport that @-Bob wants, but it seems silly to purchase an IFR navigator in order to perform VFR approaches.