What can be done/is visible on a HDX with an SV-Com, Trig-Com, Garmin-Com

I'm currently deciding on my Panel for the RV-10 and wonder if there is a list out, what SV-HDX Interface can do with an SV-Com (aparrently via the bus) versus via serial port to non SV Coms?

Thanks for your help and experience!!

Werner

Rhino

This question has been asked in various forms on many occasions, including by me. I'm no expert in this regard, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, so I'll take a shot with what I think I know. The Skyview will display frequencies for two com radios, but only one at a time. You can only control or push (TUNE COM) the primary com radio from the Skyview EFIS. This can be a Dynon or other compatible radio, the SL30 or TY91 for example. Using a Dynon radio also gives you the ability to transfer database frequencies using the TWR, GND, ATIS and ATC buttons, but that only works with Dynon radios. For the secondary com radio, the Skyview only gives the ability to display the frequency. The secondary radio cannot be tuned from the Skyview, no matter who makes it. It must be tuned using the radio controls themselves. I'm not certain about the ability to push database frequencies to a secondary com radio from the Skyview, but I believe you can as long as it's a Dynon radio. As I understand it, you cannot push database frequencies to a non-Dynon secondary com radio from the Skyview (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Although Dynon radios are repackaged hardware from Trig Avionics, they use different protocols, and will not have the same functionality as a Dynon radio (someone also correct me if I'm wrong there). Someone else would have to tell you what goes via bus as opposed to serial port. I don't know enough about that to attempt an answer.

I'm kind of hoping someone more knowledgeable will validate and/or correct all of this, because I've had some trouble wrapping my head completely around it for quite some time now.

Last edited:

Bill Putney

Trig has a new Nav/Com (TX56) that uses the same serial protocols as the SL30. Too bad they didn't announce a headless version. I can't imagine that's far in the future though. I know you can push standby frequencies to the SL30 Com and flip them. Does that work for the Nav section too? Too bad

So I did ask Support to clarify, here what I got back:

The biggest advantage that the SV-COM has over others is the ability to control both the primary and standby frequencies directly on the screen. Obviously it is limited in function without having a nav side to it, but it is fully capable for strictly com radio control and usage with our system.

With others, like the SL30, GNC's, VAL Nav 2000, etc, we are able to display the primary and standby frequencies on the top of the SkyView screen, but we can only send frequencies from SkyView to the standby on those radios. So control is a bit limited compared to our radio, and all other control would have to be done on those standalone units themselves like for swapping from standby to primary, or controlling the nav side if one has that functionality.

S you can send frequencies over to an SL-30 protocol aware Radio, but only into the STandby buffer (which is ok for me) but then swap with the control head of the radio.

Which at the end is then that Dynon did not implement the full set of SL-30 protocoll messages as otherwise you could do NAV as well ;)

And it does it only for Com1.

Hope this helps

Werner

Rhino

That's somewhat different from what they told me previously. They said a Dynon COM 1 radio could be controlled from the EFIS, but not COM 2. The only thing you could do with COM 2 on the EFIS was to see what frequency was set in it, but it had to be controlled by the COM panel.

Hi Rhino,

no just COM 1 can be controlled :(

Unfortunately SkyView can only control one radio at a time, so you are not able to display the status/control of two radios at once. In order to swap between two or more radios you would have to go into setup and change which is primary each time.
Not sure if you can have different primary on different screens, will check with a friends setup!