WiFi Problems on SkyView Classic

Paul_G

I have been having problems the past year with the WiFi not connecting to my iPad and iPhone. I have installed the latest firmware and tried shutting down my devices and nothing is helping. I also pulled the displays and checked the two Wi-Fi adapters to be certain they were completely plugged in. No other changes have been made to my airplane since is delivered in 2016.

The problem comes and goes, but it seems to be getting worse. In my phone and iPad, under the General Settings / Wi-Fi it will connect to the SkyView for a few seconds, then it disconnects. It sometimes will not show in the "Choose a Network", other times it will show and then ask for a password. Sometimes it connects and stays connected for an hour, then it drops.

I was really hoping that the last firmware update would solve the problem. It hasn't. Putting together a flight plan and then not being able to send it to my two SkyView Classic displays is very frustrating. I would love to find a fix.

Paul

WmInce

Did you try booting each display independently, to isolate the problem? I would first try that. If that test doesn't work, then switch adaptes and repeat the test. If that fails also, obtain another adapter and test again. Also, try "forgetting" the wi-fi network in your device. Then reconnect to it.

Just a few suggesstions.

Paul_G

Did you try booting each display independently, to isolate the problem? I would first try that. If that test doesn't work, then switch adaptes and repeat the test. If that fails also, obtain another adapter and test again. Also, try "forgetting" the wi-fi network in your device. Then reconnect to it.

Just a few suggesstions.
Thank you! I will give it a try. I know that others are also having this problem. It is so random! Driving me nuts!

GalinHdz

Not sure if related but my wife and some friends, who have iPhones, are having issues connecting to some WIFI networks. It seems they have become "temperamental" on a random basis. At the same time my Samsung Galaxy has had no problem connecting to the same WIFI networks. I wonder if some kind or iOS upgrade is causing this issue.

rfazio1951

I seemed to have problems also. Especially when connected, trying to upload a flight plan to the skyviews. One thing I found that really helps is to make sure both my screens are booted and up and running before I start up foreflight on the ipad. I can have the ipad running but not foreflight. Once the screens are up and running, I start up foreflight, and it works perfect every time. So this means you need to shut down foreflight at the end of the flight. Then, when you are ready for the return flight, foreflight is off, you start up the skyviews and then startup foreflight again. This also works to make the foreflight flight logs almost perfect.

Ccandrews

I love flying!
I seemed to have problems also. Especially when connected, trying to upload a flight plan to the skyviews. One thing I found that really helps is to make sure both my screens are booted and up and running before I start up foreflight on the ipad. I can have the ipad running but not foreflight. Once the screens are up and running, I start up foreflight, and it works perfect every time. So this means you need to shut down foreflight at the end of the flight. Then, when you are ready for the return flight, foreflight is off, you start up the skyviews and then startup foreflight again. This also works to make the foreflight flight logs almost perfect.
This is exactly the problem I experience and the solution I have had to implement to get an initial connection. Once connected, WiFi strength is good and no problem sending or receiving flight plans. I am also able to receive most ADS-B information like cloud tops and METARs, but no traffic or weather. So I suspect there are still some connection issues in the latest version

carlmill

I love flying!
Same problem, unresolved.
Used to work, no longer.
Asked Dynon and they referred me to the ForeFlight page on how to sync, already new that.
Was back and forth with Foreflight describing symptoms In detail, and sending them various llog files. They suggest dumping ForeFlight then restarting, also turning wireless on iPad on and off. No cure.
Hinted they are working the issue.

Carl

AlanR

I have had this problem on and off for 3years now, not Foreflight but with Flightplan transfer from Pocketfms EasyVfr here in the UK. It is a wifi problem and nothing to do with iPad/Iphone or Android, I have tried them all. It is all the same!
I have supplied Dynon with numerous log files and have also discussed the problem with Pocketfms, but it is so intermittent, it really is annoying. I have virtually given up trying to find a solution, there does not seem to be a solution or at least not one that anyone can find!
It will work perfectly for weeks and weeks on end and then for some reason it will just hang not transferring the flightplan although the Ipad shows as being connected to the wifi hotspot. So I ignore it and go flying anyway and later in the day it will work perfectly.
I am using different non-Dynon wifi dongles currently but I am not convinced that it is any better than with the Dynon wifi dongles.
At the moment mine hangs, not transfering the flightplan, for around 4-5minutes when starting from cold in the morning but later in the day on a return flight it will transfer immediately. I thought at one time it was maybe low voltage on initial startup but if so why does it work perfectly ok for weeks on end, cold or hot, and then other times it may or may not work.
Transfering flightplans in aircraft via a Wifi hotspot is in my opinion is too unreliable.