How do I disable EMS audible alarms?

vandal

I am encountering problems with my tacho and oil temp readings, both of which fluctuate quite wildly and without cause in certain conditions. The latter includes climb out phase when typically I am establishing contact with ATC and I can do without groundless announcements of warnings about engine speed. I am hoping to fix the root of the problem but in the meantime, please can someone tell me how to disable audible alarms, particularly for the EMS?

RVDan

I love flying!
I don’t recall the details, but in setup of the EMS parameters you can set or disable the audible alerts for any parameter.

preid

Go to the Sensor Setup Menu (SETUP MENU > EMS SETUP > SENSOR SETUP) to manually configure the settings of an EMS sensor.
Install manual 7-79 for more details.
As for the Tach issue- you need a higher resistor connected to P-lead wire. OR just pull the RPM - 200 back after takeoff and it should be quiet enough for ATC initial contact.

Last edited:

vandal

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, in the sensor setup, Rotax have imposed values that apparently can't be changed with regard to oil temp and tacho. The point about installing a higher resistor to solve the tacho surge problem is well taken but beyond my competence and probably that of anyone where I live (Sicily). Pulling back the RPM 2-400 on climb does help though not always. So, for the time being, I need to find a workaround to actually disable as many audible alarms as it takes to disable the engine speed one. Can anyone help with this please?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You can change the type of alert for the readings giving you problems in the sensor setup for each. As pried says above, you want to go to (SETUP MENU > EMS SETUP > SENSOR SETUP, and then to each of the sensors that you want to turn the alarms off for.

vandal

Thanks for the response, Dynon staff. However, when I followed the steps mentioned, I reach a dead end whereby under the tacho and oil temp sensor settings, there is no option to change them. A message reading "Fixed by Rotax" prevents any changes to either the alarm or range settings. I am therefore wondering whether the audible alarms can be switched off temporarily further up the tree?

airguy

Thanks for the response, Dynon staff. However, when I followed the steps mentioned, I reach a dead end whereby under the tacho and oil temp sensor settings, there is no option to change them. A message reading "Fixed by Rotax" prevents any changes to either the alarm or range settings. I am therefore wondering whether the audible alarms can be switched off temporarily further up the tree?

What type of aircraft is this on? Some aircraft manufacturers lock out parts of the Skyview software to prevent user changes or software updates with "non-approved" changes, and only the manufacturer can access those areas through a password. It sounds like you may be experiencing this.

preid

I agree with airguy, if this is a LSA there will be a limitation, I know vans did this with the RV12. But that raises the question in my mind, than why the rpm alerting? Certainly that and the other issues should have been resolved before vandal ever got the plane. Why would Rotax have.a preset setting that is incorrect? is It possible the wrong firmware (experimental vs manufacturers version) is being used?
The Only other option I can think of is turn off the Dynon volume all together. “System setup/AUDIO SETUP.”
Hope that option is possible for you.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member

Ah - This isn't an OEM restriction, but the behavior of tach of oil temp when you have the engine type set to Rotax. Because the "rules" (which are in the manual) for the variable redlines on tach and the oil temperature guides, those parameters aren't adjustable when the engine type is set to Rotax. To get around it, you can set the engine type to "other", and then adjust your alarms accordingly. You'll only be missing the variable redline and green arc features for rpm and oil temp.

vandal

Dear All, thanks for these helpful replies. I will certainly try to install a higher capacity resistor but in the meantime, will go with one of the various workarounds suggested. Thanks once again.