Static port - is this installed correctly?

DaveN

Hi all,

I got my plane in December of last year and have had issues with winds aloft and, I believe, airspeed (TAS and IAS) and altitude.
Attached are pics of the static port installation on the left side (darn sloppy work if you ask me!). right side is the same.
After some internet research including this video (
) and reading the installation manual, I believe my static ports should be installed as the Cleveland video shows. Is that correct?

Dave

static port external.jpg

static port internal.jpg

John Bright

It’s wrong and it makes a difference. It’s creating turbulence over the static port. The video you posted is of course the correct way. It would be convenient to use RTV unless you have tank sealant available, that’s what I would do anyway, skuff the surfaces apply RTV, fixture somehow for a few hours.

Too bad about the paint but it needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

DaveN

Thanks John - I'll be working with a local A&P/RV-6 builder/flyer to get it resolved.

John Bright

Oh, maybe he’s got some tank sealant, it works long after expiration. One can mix a little and see if it sets up.

His RV-6 may have the rivet for a static port which was shown in the plans. Same rivet they used to attach the rubber baffles to the aluminum baffles. Smaller diameter than what you have but you’ll see the smooth transition from exterior skin to static port.

Last edited: