3rd party ADS-B in compatibility

Danerazz

I’ve looked, and I keep finding vague answers.

I have a GTX345 that supplies traffic/weather to a GTN650Xi, then eventually (through FS510) Garmin Pilot on my iPad.

Can I get traffic AND weather from the GTX345 onto the Dynon screen, or do I need the Dynon ADS-B in box?

I know: “sell the GTX and install the Dynon XPDR/ADS-B.”

I’d like to, but I wouldn’t be able to get ADS-B onto the Garmin Pilot app. I want the Garmin Pilot app to transfer flight plans to the GTN and it works great for planning and GTN integration in-flight. I’m pretty sure this requires the GTX345 to stay put, or is there some way to get Dynon ADS-B onto the GTN/Garmin Pilot app?

I’d also like ADS-B on the Dynon for obvious reasons. I’m assuming this requires the Dynon box, but it also looks like I might be able to get traffic from the GTX to the SV, or is that strictly TIS?

Danerazz

Follow-up question: if I get rid of the GTX345 in favor of the Dynon xpdr, will I miss the ADS-B on the GTN650/iPad since the SV will display all of the same stuff? Will I even care about the iPad given the SV map functions?

PaulSS

I love flying!
Why not just use on the RS232 outputs on the back of the GTX345 and wire it into a serial port on your Dynon? It will allow you to show traffic. I'm not sure about weather as, with the lacklustre infrastructure we have in the UK, I don't receive that data so can't be sure it would get displayed.

Danerazz

Why not just use on the RS232 outputs on the back of the GTX345 and wire it into a serial port on your Dynon? It will allow you to show traffic. I'm not sure about weather as, with the lacklustre infrastructure we have in the UK, I don't receive that data so can't be sure it would get displayed.
That’s one thing I’m trying to figure out: can I get ALL ADS-B on BOTH the SV & the GTN/Pilot app with ONE ADS-B box?

And, if not, is the ADS-B traffic/weather on the SV good enough that I won’t miss it on the GTN/iPad if I switch to the Dynon xpdr?

PaulSS

I love flying!
It wouldn't make any difference to your current set up. All it would do is send the ADSB data to your Dynon in addition to what it does now. So, yes, you can get ADSB to your GTN/Pilot app as you do now and have ADSB to your Dynon via the RS232 output of the GTX345 to a serial port on the Dynon. RS232 Tx wire from GTX345 to Rx at the Dynon and ground wire between both and a little bit of serial port setting up.

As I said, definitely okay for traffic but I don't know if weather it transmitted on the same RS232. I can't see why it shouldn't be but do not know for sure.

Danerazz

That’s one thing I’m trying to figure out: can I get ALL ADS-B on BOTH the SV & the GTN/Pilot app with ONE ADS-B box?

As I said, definitely okay for traffic but I don't know if weather it transmitted on the same RS232. I can't see why it shouldn't be but do not know for sure.
Right, that’s why I’m asking.

I want to know if I can get traffic and weather on both systems from one source to avoid any redundancy.

I’d prefer the Dynon xpdr and ditch the GTX, and as I understand it the GTN only takes ADS-B info from Garmin sources. If that’s the case, but I get weather and traffic on the Dynon screen with the Dynon equipment, will it be displayed well enough that I don’t care if it’s not on the GP app or GTN?