Dynon Nav Data Update

swatson999

I also seem to recall that you can get the warning about a database being out of date if it's *too early* for the data be used (prior to the 28 day date of effectivity). Naturally, as soon as you stick a USB stick into your computer, the SA POS starts to download data to the stick (assuming you have it configured to do this in the background).

Assuming my memory is correct about the warning, it'd be pretty easy to have a stick with SA data that isn't yet "effective" if it was plugged in to your computer anytime during the week prior to the date of effectivity. And, not to mention, make sure you're getting your Dynon .duc files from the correct location within the Dynon website...there was another thread where the poster was getting them from someplace else within Dynon's website, and they were not current. Always use this URL: https://dynonavionics.com/us-aviation-obstacle-data.php

Jeff1

Thx , Airguy. I think I’ve finally figured it out, no help from Seattle Avionics tech. Kept trying to find a file to load onto the SkyView. Always get the same msg, no files recognized. Your post has told me that they don’t get loaded, just referenced back to the stick.
Now, can I actually fly an ILS on the SkyView Classic with the data? On my Garmin530W, I can push procedure and select the approach and choose an IAF and fly to that point to initiate the approach. There are two bearing needles on my SkyView, but don’t know how to select either to a particular point and fly to it only on the SkyView.

airguy

Thx , Airguy. I think I’ve finally figured it out, no help from Seattle Avionics tech. Kept trying to find a file to load onto the SkyView. Always get the same msg, no files recognized. Your post has told me that they don’t get loaded, just referenced back to the stick.
Now, can I actually fly an ILS on the SkyView Classic with the data? On my Garmin530W, I can push procedure and select the approach and choose an IAF and fly to that point to initiate the approach. There are two bearing needles on my SkyView, but don’t know how to select either to a particular point and fly to it only on the SkyView.
Yes - I use a 430W in my plane, but the procedure is the same. On your 530 you will load the airport and approach, and make sure that you are viewing the nav data on your HSI from the 530 and not the Skyview, so your CDI will come active from the 530 data. You can have multiple Sources for the Nav data and toggle between them. Now you can slave the autopilot to follow the CDI. On the Skyview you will go to Info, select your destination airport, select the PLT tab (Plates) and select the appropriate approach plate (this is being read from the USB stick at this point) and View it on the screen. This will show your aircraft georeferenced over the top of the approach plate as you fly the approach - but it WILL NOT show traffic around you on the plate - only your aircraft in it's position over the plate.

As you are making the turn onto the final heading and approaching/cross the FAF, the glideslope will appear beside the CDI and you can select VNAV to arm the glideslope capture for the autopilot.

I like to use my second screen (right hand) on a 3-mile zoom to keep an eye out for traffic while I'm doing that.

Jeff1

just what I thought. I was going to use chart data from the SkyView as a backup to The Garmin to fly IFR approaches. The approach plate on the screen is too small for me to see the detail. I use ForeFlight and blow it up to read it. I question why I paid for a year subscription to Seattle Avionics for chart data when all it does is show obstacles and terrain And approach charts that are too small to read. That is all available on the Garmin.

airguy

just what I thought. I was going to use chart data from the SkyView as a backup to The Garmin to fly IFR approaches. The approach plate on the screen is too small for me to see the detail. I use ForeFlight and blow it up to read it. I question why I paid for a year subscription to Seattle Avionics for chart data when all it does is show obstacles and terrain And approach charts that are too small to read. That is all available on the Garmin.
You can zoom in on the plates on the Skyview, same as you zoom in on the map view.

kjmorris2023

There are two parts to the updates - the Dynon side, and the Seattle Avionics side.

Start with a blank, formatted USB stick.

Go to the Dynon site and download the latest database update, and drop it into the root directory (not any folder) of the USB. When you insert the USB into your port in the airplane, then you go into Setup mode and load the file from the USB. This will update the nav/obstacle data.

For the Seattle Avionics part, you can use the same USB stick as before. Create a folder in the root directory named exactly this - capitalization is important here - "SkyvewUS". Then be patient (very) and let the nearly-worthless Seattle Avionics datamanager eventually do what it does, and it will load the files from your PC to the USB stick. When that is done, then plug the stick into the USB port in your airplane and you'll have the sectionals, IFR maps and plates for the areas you selected on the SA datamanager. You don't need to do anything on the Skyview to be "load" these, the Skyview will access the USB as needed to go look at them.

For the next data cycle, simply erase the .DUC file from the old Dynon update and replace it with the current one and repeat the load step in the airplane. The SA datamanager should eventually update the USB stick if you plug it into your computer and go away for a while.
Thanks in advance for spelling this out. Going to pickup my Bonanza next week. When I downloaded the data initially from Seattle Avionics it created two files Chartdata and SkyViewUS. It only downloaded data in the ChartData file. I see nothing is in the SkyViewUS folder. So I reformatted disc and tried it again. Created the folder SkyViewUS. But the Chartdata manager created the Chartdata file. It's currently downloading so I don't know which folder it's downloading too.

Last edited:

airguy

Thanks in advance for spelling this out. Going to pickup my Bonanza next week. When I downloaded the data initially from Seattle Avionics it created two files Chartdata and SkyViewUS. It only downloaded data in the ChartData file. I see nothing is in the SkyViewUS folder. So I reformatted disc and tried it again. Created the folder SkyViewUS. But the Chartdata manager created the Chartdata file. It's currently downloading so I don't know which folder it's downloading too.
The SkyViewUS folder has only one purpose - it exists only to tell the ChartData Manager to create the Chartdata folder and download all the data into it. No data exists in the SkyViewUS folder, it is an identification tag only for the USB drive that tells the download program to go do its thing. Skyview will look for the files in the Chartdata folder.

kjmorris2023

The SkyViewUS folder has only one purpose - it exists only to tell the ChartData Manager to create the Chartdata folder and download all the data into it. No data exists in the SkyViewUS folder, it is an identification tag only for the USB drive that tells the download program to go do its thing. Skyview will look for the files in the Chartdata folder.
Thank you. And there is no problem using the same thumb drive for dynon navigation updates? Seattle Avionics said you needed two thumb drives if you had an additional screen to be able to display their data. Not sure I'll need this but it does provide for flexibility.

airguy

Thank you. And there is no problem using the same thumb drive for dynon navigation updates? Seattle Avionics said you needed two thumb drives if you had an additional screen to be able to display their data. Not sure I'll need this but it does provide for flexibility.
The USB drive can be used for multiple things, certainly. I currently use mine for the Dynon update, the Seattle Avionics chart data, and my Avidyne IFD440 update - plus keeping screenshots and flightplans - all on the same drive. As long as you have enough space, the Seattle Avionics data plays nicely with anything else already on the drive.

The comment about two drives for two screens is correct - when Skyview is trying to see the IFR plates or VFR sectionals, it is looking at the files on the USB - but Skyview cannot transfer that data from one screen to another. If you want to view the data from Seattle Avionics on two screens, you'll need one drive installed for each screen since they access it independently and don't share. I installed a dual-USB remote mount in my panel where the two drives live just for convenience, see below. It has two separate USB remote cables which are plugged into the back of the screens, the top port is for my left screen and the bottom port is for the right. I like to have the same data available on each screen in case I lose one in flight.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 169

Merlinspop

Reviving this older thread because my questions more or less follow on to what has already been said here, and I might as well keep all the information all on the same thread (at least that's my thinking).

So... I initially thought I'd keep the Dynon files on one USB and the SA files on a second one. The USB I used (a pair of them actually) both look as described here: Nothing in the root except 2 folders, Chartdata (populated with subfolders (FG, HI, LO, Plates, SEC and lots of individual key files)) and SkyViewUS, which is empty. IF I plugged that into the USB port, would the HDX be able to retrieve the approach plates, airport diagrams, and use the sectional and hi and lo IFR charts?

On the USB that I set aside for Dynon files, there are, all on the root:
Base_map_north-america_6.dup
FAA_av2201_ob2201.duc
SkyView_16_0_8_US_Package_HDX1100_Jan27.duc (I downloaded this as a 'If everything needs to be reinstalled' backup)

Now I think I understand that I can have the dub and duc files (the FAA one, not necessarily the full package one) and the SA file all on the same USB (mine are 32GB SanDisk), correct?
Am I missing any files that need to be regularly updated/installed on the HDX? If so, which source (Dynon or SA)?
When I go to update the HDX, I "install" the dup and duc files (and any that the previous question identified that I'm missing), and then just leave the USB in the port for the HDX to 'find' the SA files when it needs them?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

airguy

The basemap file only needs to be installed once - it is very rarely updated. The current version is from 2013. Once you load that into the HDX you don't need to keep it on the USB, and don't need to load it again unless the basemap gets updated.

The 16.0.8 software update, likewise - once you load it you don't need to keep it on the USB. In fact a good argument could be made for NOT keeping it on the USB - when you go into Setup mode and load the new nav/obs database, if you happen to fat-finger the file selection you could accidentally end up reloading the 16.0.8 software all over again, overwriting any user-specific settings you've made. I would keep that 16.0.8 software file on your home computer - not on the USB. Also note - the most current version of HDX for Experimental is 16.2.4.

The FAA_av2201_ob2201.duc file is the only one that needs to be downloaded and put on the USB, and loaded into the HDX via the Setup menu. That also is about to change, by the way. There is a new beta version of the Seattle Avionics software manager that will automatically download that file along with all the chartdata from Seattle Avionics, and put it on the USB for you. You'll still have to load that file via the Setup menu on the HDX, but at least you don't have to go download it from the Dynon website, it will automatically come down with the Seattle Avionics data - a one-stop shop, if you will. That software has not been released yet but it is on beta test with a handful of users, myself included.

Now as to your question about the files - Dynon HDX is going to look for your approach plates, sectionals, and IFR HI/LO charts under the Chartdata folder on the USB. All you need to do is plug in the appropriate USB and they will be visible to the HDX. And yes, you can have all of that on the same USB. I am using 32GB thumb drives and the Seattle Avionics charts (all 50 states, with sectional and IFR HI/LO charts) occupy just under 13 GB total, plus another 8 MB for the Dynon nav/obstacle database - that leaves just over half of your USB memory available for other stuff. You can keep as much other stuff on there as you like, as long as the Chartdata folder is there on the root directory of the USB.

Last edited:

Merlinspop

The basemap file only needs to be installed once - it is very rarely updated. The current version is from 2013. Once you load that into the HDX you don't need to keep it on the USB, and don't need to load it again unless the basemap gets updated.

The 16.0.8 software update, likewise - once you load it you don't need to keep it on the USB. In fact a good argument could be made for NOT keeping it on the USB - when you go into Setup mode and load the new nav/obs database, if you happen to fat-finger the file selection you could accidentally end up reloading the 16.0.8 software all over again, overwriting any user-specific settings you've made. I would keep that 16.0.8 software file on your home computer - not on the USB.

The FAA_av2201_ob2201.duc file is the only one that needs to be downloaded and put on the USB, and loaded into the HDX via the Setup menu. That also is about to change, by the way. There is a new beta version of the Seattle Avionics software manager that will automatically download that file along with all the chartdata from Seattle Avionics, and put it on the USB for you. You'll still have to load that file via the Setup menu on the HDX, but at least you don't have to go download it from the Dynon website, it will automatically come down with the Seattle Avionics data - a one-stop shop, if you will. That software has not been released yet but it is on beta test with a handful of users, myself included.

Now as to your question about the files - Dynon HDX is going to look for your approach plates, sectionals, and IFR HI/LO charts under the Chartdata folder on the USB. All you need to do is plug in the appropriate USB and they will be visible to the HDX. And yes, you can have all of that on the same USB. I am using 32GB thumb drives and the Seattle Avionics charts (all 50 states, with sectional and IFR HI/LO charts) occupy just under 13 GB total, plus another 8 MB for the Dynon nav/obstacle database - that leaves just over half of your USB memory available for other stuff. You can keep as much other stuff on there as you like, as long as the Chartdata folder is there on the root directory of the USB.
Thanks, Airguy! That is clears up a lot!
This weekend I put my first 4 hours in behind the HDX/IFD540/AC100 combination in our club's Archer since Jesse installed it. There's some bugs to work out yet, but my goodness... what an amazing, capable system. I'm going to really enjoy this!

refurb

The 16.0.8 software update, likewise - once you load it you don't need to keep it on the USB. In fact a good argument could be made for NOT keeping it on the USB - when you go into Setup mode and load the new nav/obs database, if you happen to fat-finger the file selection you could accidentally end up reloading the 16.0.8 software all over again, overwriting any user-specific settings you've made. I would keep that 16.0.8 software file on your home computer - not on the USB. Also note - the most current version of HDX for Experimental is 16.2.4.

What is the FAA_av2303_OB2301.duc file? I just updated my Skyview but it still says that I'm not up to date. I'm subscribed to Airmate and don't think I get the .duc file but I don't know where to find it. TIA!

Rhino

The obstacle database doesn't come from Airmate or Seattle Avionics. It's downloaded directly from Dynon. But it's not part of the system software, so it won't be included in a system update. It must be downloaded separately.

airguy

The obstacle database doesn't come from Airmate or Seattle Avionics. It's downloaded directly from Dynon. But it's not part of the system software, so it won't be included in a system update. It must be downloaded separately.
Actually if you use Seattle Avionics database manager to update your charts on the USB sticks, it does now include the latest obstacle database from Dynon. That's a relatively recent change, maybe the last year.

refurb

It appears 'refurb' has a PA-28-235, and if that is correct, here is the link to the Dynon SkyView US Aviation/Obstacles Database file for Certified installations:

It appears 'refurb' has a PA-28-235, and if that is correct, here is the link to the Dynon SkyView US Aviation/Obstacles Database file for Certified installations:

Where do I install the file? Does it go in the root directory or does it go in one of the folders?

Rhino

Root.

Navigate to SETUP > SYSTEM SOFTWARE >LOAD FILES.