D10A Autopilot Question

Cliffy

Did ALL D10As come with the A/P function installed?
Working with a friend at the airport on a T-18 who wants a simple basic VFR only straight and level A/P NO fancy GPSS stuff
He uses this for day/vfr cross country flying.
I suggested a D10A and he has found one that might be available out of a Cessna that is going in for a new D-30 upgrade.
Wondering if all the D10As are alike or if the A/P function was deleted or disabled in the certified version for the HDX
He can get it for a reasonable price if it will work and yes we know it will need the servos and install parts
He may even decide to just use the HDG or Track mode without any GPS input and sync the heading to current for what he needs
Any ideas from the brain trust out there?

Rhino

Yes, it should be fully functional. The autopilot menu functions may have been disabled by the original installer with the CLUTTR function, but they can be re-enabled again.

Cliffy

We just checked the D10A to see if the AP page comes up and it says - not functional because it is not
primary EFIS
I presume that with the proprietary cabling that it is in the loop that ties everything together in the entire
Dynon install (com, magnatometer, radios etc) and it should work once removed from the airplane.
I'm left wondering what the D10A gets from the "loop" if it is solely an independent backup instrument.

Rhino

The manual covers how to make it primary when you re-install it. It also covers what primary and non-primary displays do.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
All of the capability is retained on all EFIS-D10As. In certified form, you can not use the AP or HSI due to certification limitations. But if you transplant it to a homebuilt aircraft, it's the same inside, and one can use the full set of features.