Yoke Mounted Autopilot Disconnect Switch Setups

Spunk

I'm just about to have my autopilot installed in my 1965 Cessna 182H and was wondering what people have for yoke-mounted disconnect switches. What switch are you using (where did you get it, what type) and how is it mounted on your yoke? Pictures would be great too! I'd like to 3D print some kind of bracket to house the comm and disconnect switches so I'm fishing for ideas. Pic is of my current yoke with a janky PTT switch!
IMG_4057.jpeg

LTLong

I used an Otto P7-5A1121 (Red Actuator) for A/P Disconnect. It’s a Piper Avionics yoke, so I don’t know how it works with a Cessna yoke.
Resized_20240326_122149_206034916456200.jpeg

Danerazz

usually a metal tab is made to hold the buttons then screwed/clamped to the yoke.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 18

Danerazz

What I would like to see is he CWS function approved for the certified installations, or a second input for an individual CWS button added/approved.

Danerazz

Not mine, just a photo I found to show what many I’ve seen are set up like.

That being said, some are drilled/tapped, but I’ve seen some clamped to the yoke hub extension, or to the yoke itself. I’ve also seen some bonded to the yoke with something like 3M 5200.

I’m not going to tell you what to do, but I’d be very careful about drilling. That is considered a structural modification and would be unlikely to get signed-off by FAA or even IA at annual. The yokes are pretty thin and a couple holes could compromise them.

My vote is a clamped/bonded solution.

Another option is I’ve seen leather covers with integrated switch mounts. They are custom, but many shops can do this.

I’d even consider 3D printing a mount that closely matched the contour of the yoke and bonding it with the increased surface area.

Spunk

Not mine, just a photo I found to show what many I’ve seen are set up like.

That being said, some are drilled/tapped, but I’ve seen some clamped to the yoke hub extension, or to the yoke itself. I’ve also seen some bonded to the yoke with something like 3M 5200.

I’m not going to tell you what to do, but I’d be very careful about drilling. That is considered a structural modification and would be unlikely to get signed-off by FAA or even IA at annual. The yokes are pretty thin and a couple holes could compromise them.

My vote is a clamped/bonded solution.

Another option is I’ve seen leather covers with integrated switch mounts. They are custom, but many shops can do this.

I’d even consider 3D printing a mount that closely matched the contour of the yoke and bonding it with the increased surface area.
I don't plan to drill anything into the yoke. I'm going to try to design and 3D print custom clamps to hold the switches and housing on the upper left side of the yoke.

Mooney231

What's wrong with the panel mounted AP disconnect switch from Dynon? Might save a lot of trouble and you have plenty of panel space.

Spunk

I'd really like a yoke mounted one. Being an airline guy, it's always been on the yoke. I figure at the end of an approach I'd get super confused as to where it is!

CanardMulti

What's wrong with the panel mounted AP disconnect switch from Dynon? Might save a lot of trouble and you have plenty of panel space.
Just my take on things, but toggling off an autopilot without having a firm grip on the stick / yoke at the moment of disconnect is looking for trouble. It's entirely possible - and more than just occasionally happens - the autopilot is covering up a mis-trim condition to some degree in which case a wild ride has the potential to be in the pilot's immediate future. Having the primary disconnect button in a location that naturally falls under the pilot's finger (preferably the thumb) while his hand is gripping the yoke guarantees that manual control inputs can be immediately made should they be needed.

Ken