about automatic direction system

aviator

Hi everybody,
I need a help about ADF  (Automatic Direction finder) receiver; I try to test an adf receiver  which is manufactured by rockwell collins (adf-60a) without antenna in an avionic shop..My problem is, I don't know how can I simulate the ADF SIGNAL..Because in an aircraft the adf antenna do most of function, for example; it is amplifiying the sensed signal which is from beacon and modulating the signal and then it sends it to ADF receiver, so I need to find a way to test it without antenna...can anybody give an advice to me???

Canadian_JOY

If you were to go to an avionics shop you'd see that they actually test ADF receivers by installing a 'known good' antenna in an antenna signal simulator, and then feed a signal generator into this same simulator box. The antenna is then physically rotated inside the simulator box to simulate different bearings to the simulated ADF station. The output of the antenna is fed to the receiver being tested using the same cable that you would use in your aircraft (for capacitance matching).

So the short answer is that you really can't test an ADF without an antenna, or a REALLY expensive antenna simulator. You can test basic receive sensitivity, but you can't test pointing ability without an antenna.

rotorgoat

I can't seen to find the new topic link. However I'm trying to find out if the Bendix J-8 Horizon requires a 115VAC 3 phase or single phase input. Also a pin diagram would be helpful. any ideas?? thanks RG