ADAHRS PLACEMENT

RV8MW

PLANNING ON MOUNTING ADAHRS MODULE BEHIND REAR BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT OF MY RV8. PLAN TO MOUNT ON A SHELF AT TOP OF BULKHEAD AND DRILL THREE HOLES IN CLOSE OUT PANEL FOR AOA PITOT AND STATIC. MY QUESTION IS MY STROBE POWER SUPPLY IS IN THIS AREA ALSO. WOULD BE ABOUT 15 " FROM ADAHRS. WILL THIS BE OK.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That distance will probably be OK, but it's also close. Your best chance to make sure is to use a standard mechanical compass and place it where you will place the ADAHRS. Turn the strobes on and off and see if the compass moves. If it does, the ADAHRS will have the same heading problem.

apkp777

Where do you recommend the placement for the Adahrs? I have same issue, my strobe power supply is located just aft and RH side of baggage bulkhead (rv9).

Can it be located behind the panel? Wing?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The AHDARS cannot be in the wingtip. It will not be allowed more than about 5' from the center line of the aircraft.

It also cannot be behind the panel since it is also the magentometer and you'll get bad heading info with all the interference there.

As I say, being that close to the strobe pack is probably fine. You'll have more issues being close to the power wires going to the pack than the pack itself or the high voltage wires coming out.

Ken_Kopp

Hi Guys - can the compass display be selected to TRK mode via gps input? My thinking is if I already have a wet compass installed I don't need to worry much about the placement of the AHDARS if I'm going to use the displayed compass in TRK mode anyway.

Ken

Ken_Kopp

I've been thinking about AHDARS placement in my RV8 for months now. Don't like the idea of placing aft of the baggage area far from the CG

Would really like it behind the panel under the display. Understand the messy magnetic field issues but can this be mostly calibrated out while the equipment used most consistently is turned on during calibration? Did this with the EFIS10A prior to installing the EDC and was able to keep MAG HDG within 5 degrees all around. Thoughts?

The RV8 really doesn't have many spots close to the CG and far from sources of mag distrubances.

Really looking forward this this system!

Ken

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Close to the CG isn't super important in pitch. We've done the math and you won't have any problems in the back.

You can't calibrate out things that change, and electric loads change all the time. Synthetic Vision points forward based on magnetic heading (you want it to reflect what is out the window) so I'm not sure that you'd be happy with 5 degrees.

meljordan

Regarding the placement of the ADHARS in the RV6, I made a shelf from .032 alum that ran across the fuselage between the upper longerons just behind the bulkhead that is in turn behind the baggage compartment rear bulkhead. (Sorry, I don't have the plans here, so I can't tell you the Bulkhead #). The shelf is "C" formed to give it rigidity and is about 4 inches wide. I positioned the two ADHARS next to each other on this shelf. I also added two nylon clamps for the sholder harness cables to run through so they would not move around in relation to the ADHARS modules. This mount works fine for me.

Best Regards,
Mel Jordan

Jamie

Thanks for the reply Mel.

If I have a AoA pitot, I would also have to run these two extra lines now all the way back to the ADAHRS ?
Also with a dual ADAHRS, would I have to split each line ( 2 x AoA 1 x Static ) in to  each ADAHRS , thats going to be a lot of " T " connectors .

with thanks

jamie

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
All pressure connections go to the ADAHRS, so yes, you need to run AoA back there if you use that option. You do also need to split all your pressure lines and run to both ADAHRS units if you have more than one. If you didn't do this, they wouldn't be redundant.