Add Honeywell sensor to definiton file (0-100psi)

cleesgt

I'm trying to add a solid state sensor for pressure called 4040pc100 by honeywell.  A datasheet is attached. The sensor has three wires:  ground, +5v input, and signal/output. The output is 0.5v to 4.5v (40 mV/psi).
What I don't understand is why I need a pull-up resistor?  If I do, what value resistor? Because only two pins on the DB37 don't use pull-ups, I'd like to use one of the many other pins that use pull-up resistors.
Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks

Attachments

• 4000PC_Series_pressure_sensor_Datasheet.pdf
    268.2 KB · Views: 178

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Add Honeywell sensor to definiton file (0-100p

Chris,
Every input on SkyView supports 200, 1K, and 10K pull ups because most senders want one of these resistor values.

However, you don't want to use a pull-up resistor with this kind of active sender. Because of hardware limitations, only 3 of the GP inputs on SkyView can support having the pull-up resistor turned off, so you'll need to wire it to one of those inputs. There are three, not two.

Based on the datasheet for this sender. there is a chance that it will work with a 10K pull up, but we've had mixed success with that in the past, and if you really need to do that, you'd just need to try it.

Besides that, it should be an easy linear equation to do what you want.

EchoCharlie1

I had attempted to use the Westach version of the same type pressure transducer and was informed that only the Dynon recommended pressure sensors (looking very much like an automotive oil pressure sending unit) would work.

Could I have maintained my Westach units? P/N 387-100KV and 387-30KV, oil and fuel pressure, respectively?

Frank

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

To clarify - other sensors can sometimes work if you're VERY technical and are comfortable with working with polynomials and characterizing sensors yourself. It's not trivial for most people to do, and our normal recommendation is to use the sensors we directly support, which are the ones that we sell ourselves or explicitly support per our manuals. Creating sensor definitions is not part of our normal technical support, though we provide tips and clarifications about that process to customers folks that are trying their hands at characterizing sensors they already have.

So no, the Westach sensors can not be used without some significant effort on your part. Most customers are better off from a time/cost standpoint replacing their legacy sensors.