Adding SV700

Jimzims

I love flying!
How hard would it be for me to add a 7 inch classic to my panel? I currently have a 10 inch classic. I didn't install the avionics in this experimental A/C so aside from cutting the hole, what else would be entailed?
Thanks

Stevec

It depends what you have connected to the D-1000. Apart from the network cable you will need the ethernet cable. Then you will need to check what is connected to your serial ports and run a connection from each device to the serial ports on the new screen. The audio output may also need to be run from the new screen if you are using that. Best to check the installation manual that tells you what needs to go to both screens, which is basically everything.

Tim Fitz

The hardest part might be just getting a 7 inch classic. Dynon has stopped making them so you will need to find a used one. Until HDX 7 inch screens start shipping and people replace the classic screens they will be hard to come by. Good luck, I am looking to add a 7 inch classic as well to my 10 inch screen.

Jimzims

I love flying!
Thanks for the input guys... I have a used one available to me and I plan to proceed with the install.
Thanks, Jim

Tim Fitz

Jim,

Just following up on the install. Looking at switching out my classic D1000 for an HDX 10 inch and adding a 7 inch HDX. Want the 7 inch mostly for approach plates and mapping. Did you have to splice in anything or did the Ethernet and 9 pin network cable handle the second screen?

Tim Fitz

Thanks Rhino. My 10 inch classic screen has the 37 pin which will connect to the DB37 pinout on my new 10 inch HDX. I will then connect the Ethernet to the new 7 inch HDX and 9 pin network cables into the network hub and then connect that to the 7 inch HDX. My question is will I need to splice anything from my EMS module, or GPS antenna for the 7 inch screen to display information already seen on my 10 inch screen or will it see it all through the hub and Ethernet? Not worried about redundancy as I have a G-175, D-3, and a sportys hand held for back-up. From reading the manual it sounds like I will just need to provide power to the new 7 inch screen and the Ethernet and network hub will do the rest unless I want 2 stand alone independent systems.

Stevec

For all of the devices connected to the serial ports you will need to connect the to the new screen as well as the old as described in the installation manual. The audio will need to be connected to both screens as well.

Rhino

Sorry for the delay. Was out of town. Everything you need should work over the SV network or ethernet, except for devices requiring serial port connections, as Steve noted (you didn't mention any serial devices). One display should be set as master and the other as standby, so the standby display takes over network functions if the master fails. You do not need to splice the audio from both displays. There is no audio input to HDX displays. The only audio output from them is alert audio. Theoretically, splicing both audio outputs together will allow the standby display to still send alert audio if the master display fails. However, having both spliced together during normal operations can sometimes cause an echo effect due to both displays sending out duplicate audio at the same time. So it's your choice as to whether to do that or not.

Last edited:

n144sh

I love flying!
As mentioned previously, any serial devices will need to be spliced. GPS 250 or 2020 is on Serial port 5. Other common serial devices are ADSB 470/472 and Transponder.

Stevec

Rhino how do you set one screen to be the master. As I have seen no mention of it in the installation manual I assumed the first to be up and running assumed the title of master.
With respect to the audio I chose to go by the installation manual that states you MUST join the two screen outputs together and so far there have been to issues. I did read that there could be issues but so far nothing.

Rhino

The system will set the master automatically. I'm not sure how it makes that determination, but it doesn't really matter anyway. The master serves little function other than a failover. The master display does load software updates to the transponder, but since you update both screens, this makes no appreciable difference.

Rhino

The entry in the manual about requiring all audio outputs to be connected together is a bit of a misnomer. This is the sentence on page 4-20:

"If there is more than one display on a SkyView network, you MUST connect all displays’ audio outputs to the same audio panel input to ensure that audio is always heard."

That's basically what I said before. The key word in that passage is "if". IF you want to be sure audio is "always heard", i.e., when one display fails, then you must connect both together. Otherwise it isn't necessary. Both displays output the same alerts unless you have dual EMS systems or twin engines. It can also be a different ball game if you don't have an audio panel. But if you aren't getting any echo (Dynon calls it doubling), you're just fine. Leave it that way. I was just saying it isn't absolutely necessary if such an installation would be very difficult for you.

CanardMulti

Prior to firmware 16.x.x, twin engine airplanes had to display each engine's data on a separate screen. In order to get alerts generated for both engines, both screen's audio needed to be connected to audio panel. I haven't installed 16.x yet, so not sure how engine data alerts work for the latest version.

Ken