ADSB Serial output

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
I've noticed that the SV can send different types of data to the built in serial outputs. I have an interest in sending data from the SV ADSB reciever to a tablet.

The serial data output per Rev N dated January 2013, of the SV installation guide includes :
ADAHRS
Air Data
AutoPilot
EMS

My assumption is that the recent release of the ADSB reciever has not given them time to add that data as a serial output option.

My question is when might I expect to see ADSB info supported as a serial data out option ?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We have no plans to send ADS-B data out. It is in a very complex format and at high bit rate, and there is no industry format to communicate the data in.

What tablet and software were you hoping to communicate with?

shenweas

I love flying!
It would be great if you considered this. I am holding off on bying the SV ADSB because I dont want to clutter my SV by using it to display weather. I would however enjoy ADS-B traffic on the PFD so now I am caught with a compromise.

I would like to send the ADSB weather data out with serial to the Aera 560. shouldnt be that hard to do.

65xx

Same question on ADS-B as above, but I want to serial/USB/WiFi it to the iFly 720 for the same reasons as Weasel detailed above. Dan

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
I currently have MountainScope but am testing Seattle Avionics Voyager.

Both of these support ADS-B. I want to stay away from the apple thing.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I would like to send the ADSB weather data out with serial to the Aera 560.  shouldnt be that hard to do.

Garmin does not publish the protocol to send weather to their devices. I assume since they sell their own ADS-B receiver and thus would lose money supporting other devices.

Please also realize that SkyView does not have Bluetooth or WiFi, nor can we be a USB slave, so all we have is serial out. This means we can't hook to any Apple device, nor 99% of tablets in the world. Connecting to other devices would take serious engineering effort and for now, we don't see a strong business case for that.

Davesplace

I love flying!
Does the Dynon ADSB with 261 transponder and Skyview show only traffic with ADSB or does it show all mode C aircraft? New to this... :)

Mzwijacz

I love flying!
Please also realize that SkyView does not have Bluetooth or WiFi

There are devices you can bye that will take serial in and broadcast Bluetooth. This is as fairly easy with some open source PLC.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Davesplace - If you live in the US, have the transponder and the ADS-B receiver, you'll see all ADS-B equipped targets in your area, along with all radar targets in the area that the FAA's radar systems can see (Mode C targets included). Essentially, when you send your ADS-B position, the ADS-B ground stations compile a portrait of anything the FAA's systems can see around your aircraft, whether ADS-B or Mode-C or S equipped, and sends them back over the ADS-B link.

klindell

Support,

Can you advise me, as you state that Garmin does not publish their protocol; are the manufacturers not using RTCA DO-282B (or later?) as the protocol definition? At least several manufacturers do follow that standard and also offer that serial interface?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
DO-282 is the MOPS (minimum performance standard) for UAT's. It doesn't define a protocol at all. In fact, in the 704 pages, RS-232 is not mentioned once.

I assume what you are asking is if Garmin uses the semi-common "GDL-90" format, which is not a TSO or DO standard. Ironically, while they wrote that protocol for the capstone program, they do not use it on their modern devices like a GDL-39 which is what the portable devices support. They went with an encrypted protocol.

It is technically possible for us to output the GDL-90 format. This will use up one more serial port on SkyView, and right now we don't have enough customer interest to make this a smart business decision. If enough people ask, maybe it will. But please understand that us supporting the GDL-90 format doesn't suddenly mean we can talk to a Garmin device or any application on an iPad since the protocols are incompatible. This, we have a pretty low volume of devices to choose from.

klindell

Thanks for the reply, I meant the DO-282 appendix J, which does specify the serial format but HW layer/signal levels are up to the manufacturer to choose. I believe that is also the standard GDL-90 uses.
I do agree, that this overwhelming amount of serial protocols do not seem to be the best field to make "right" decisions especially while serial ports are limited.
Have you ever consired terminate the streams to a TCP (or UDP) pipe? Customers might then have the possibility to add "serial servers" to the network, either via ethernet/serial converters or your partners directly with an ethernet interface?

Davesplace

I love flying!
Thanks for the clarification. I had been told only ADS-B targets show up not all mode C.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
To clarify - you get Mode C targets when they're being painted by radar, and an FAA radar station somewhere (center, enroute, approach, etc) is picking the aircraft up. Then it gets beamed to you via ADS-B. Basically, when you have ADS-B in and out, you see what the FAA sees.