adsb traffic

djones

Administrator
Staff member
I was flying yesterday with traffic for the first time. I noticed on targets that were adsb out, I had N number displayed below the target and it was switching to another 4 digit number that I assume was their squawk code. I have been unable to verify if that was what it was. The manuals make no mention of N number toggling to any other data.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
First off, do you have an old software version (like more than a year old?).

If not, you happened to see one very rare airplane- wither a plane with BOTH UAT and 1090ES on board, or a plane with a totally misconfigured ADS-B out system. There's a bug in the FAA ground stations that causes this to happen if a plane is dual equipped. I've put a couple hundred hours on the ADS-B traffic system and only seen this once.

As you fly more, you'll only generally see N numbers. You are seeing the Mode-A squawk in these cases. If all the planes around there are doing it, then let us know where you are in the USA and we'll file a report with the FAA and see what's up.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
First off, do you have an old software version (like more than a year old?).

If not, you happened to see one very rare airplane- wither a plane with BOTH UAT and 1090ES on board, or a plane with a totally misconfigured ADS-B out system. There's a bug in the FAA ground stations that causes this to happen if a plane is dual equipped. I've put a couple hundred hours on the ADS-B traffic system and only seen this once.

As you fly more, you'll only generally see N numbers. You are seeing the Mode-A squawk in these cases. If all the planes around there are doing it, then let us know where you are in the USA and we'll file a report with the FAA and see what's up.

Software is 14.2, I only noticed it on one airplane, and the only reason I noticed it then was it was in the middle of nowhere and he was the only target. While in San Antonio airspace there were lots of targets and no time to scrutinize the N number block ;)

65xx

I have gotten both N-number and squawk codes several times here in the Reno area with NorCal supplying the radar energy. Dan from Reno

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unless you're getting it on *every* plane, I don't think it's a ground station issue. Some areas might just have more planes configured that way.

There might also be a brand of ADS-B out equipment out there that is misbehaving. If you do see more than one at a time, it might be interesting to get a datalog to us.

jeffa

I've seen it plenty of times in DFW. I just figured it was because some people are using portable or uncertified units.

dwightsmall

I love flying!
I've seen traffic displayed alternately with the N-number and then their squawk. I've seen this in the Tucson area. I have the 470 UAT and GPS-2020 and have firmware version 14.2.1