Air Speed

Alvin

Watch Thy Airspeed
Hi My air speed indicates 23 with hanger door closed.
How do I zero it out???????
Dynon skyview

Second question
Is this why my AOA is beeping while taxing?
It stops when air speed picks up.
seems to be okay when approaching stall speed.

swatson999

Hi My air speed indicates 23 with hanger door closed.
How do I zero it out???????
Dynon skyview

Second question
Is this why my AOA is beeping while taxing?
It stops when air speed picks up.
seems to be okay when approaching stall speed.

This seems to have become something of a more common problem lately, as noted in several threads (including one I started). I, for one, am starting to think there is some underlying software or firmware issue going on here.

I had the same thing happen a few times, randomly, even though the zero airspeed calibration had been performed. I noticed it because the SV stayed on after powering down the aircraft's electrical system, in the hangar. Looking at the data showed airspeed values of around 15-17 knots.

El_Zopilote

I also love flying!
1- First of all in the closed hangar carefully cover your static port(s) with a piece of tape and also put the cover on the pitot tube.
2- Start your Dynon(s) -> Hold buttons 7 and 8 for a few seconds to enter in the SETUP MENU -> HARDWARE CALIBRATION -> ADAHRS CALIBRATION -> Zero Airspeed Calibration...
I've just did it yesterday and it works fine. The Dynon tape now indicates a steady "---" instead of a bouncing value around 20 knots. My major concern was that this will also affect the upper range of speeds by shifting down the entire speed scale, but not. I’ve checked this issue in flight and the Dynon indicated airspeed is (almost) the same with the analog gauge indication.
Read here http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1468169485/7#7 the Dynon support answer for this same subject.
I also have to check the static and the pitot system for leakage and to do the check of the ASI instruments for accuracy, but before doing so I have to build a water manometer.

Regards,
Alex.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
On the second question, there is an INHIBIT AOA BELOW AIRSPEED option under SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > AUDIO SETUP > ANGLE OF ATTACK that should help with the low airspeed AOA annunciation.

Alvin - how long has your SkyView been in use / installed?

We don't believe there to be an underlying software / hardware issue here. Some systems deal with the fact that the measuring very low airspeeds is hard (because the pressures involved are miniscule) by having the airspeed indication come alive until higher values (even bumping the threshold 5-10 knots makes an appreciable difference here). Our design lowers the indicated range to the lowest we could possibly measure with precision, while offering a calibration function that allows you to deal with the sensor drift that may occur over time.

Alvin

Watch Thy Airspeed
Hi My sky view was installed in 2011 and has about 400 hrs.
Probably purchased in 2009 or 2010.
Thanks for the info, I will make the changes and report back.
cheers