All servos (2) OK until right screen turned on

pksgwfac6v

With the right 10" EFIS on, 2 servos calibrated, all normal NETWORK and SERVO page indication until I turn on the right 10" EFIS. Then the roll servo drops out -OFFLINE. Roll error in red on the left PDF display. When I reverse this, Right screen on alone, configure- all hardware detected. Turn on the left screen and again the roll servo goes OFFLINE. Everything has been checked and rechecked; wiring, pin-outs, voltage, grounds, both units updated to 5.0, all numbers match, airspeed tapes match, "N" numbers match, etc. I'm exhausted chasing this rabbit into a hole. :( The left screen was recently replaced with a refurbished unit by Dynon for internal software/hardware reason. This roll servo (#2983) was also updated/repaired by Dynon. HELP

I have to fly with only one screen activated to have an autopilot.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Have you done a "network configuration" with both screens turned on AND the servos turned on? It just sounds like things are out of sync.

pksgwfac6v

Yes. Actually I have been fighting this for a month of Sundays. Network Config with all possibilities. When I called tech support they said wait until 5.0 comes out. Same problem. The roll servo #2983 was the problem child since new. the pitch servo #2984 was never the problem. Now, with the left screen only on, the A/P flew flawlessly. When the right screen is booted up I get an immediate roll error on the left (new) EFIS. However, if I turn it off right away, the roll error goes away. When the left screen ALONE is booted up, configured, both servos are found but when calibrated the PITCH servo fails with a throw error. It is not a wiring problem whereas they fly OK..........on the left EFIS only. Can this be???????

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This actually could be a wiring issue. With only one screen on, does the network status page show any errors on either screen?

jakej

Yes. Actually I have been fighting this for a month of Sundays. Network Config with all possibilities. When I called tech support they said wait until 5.0 comes out.  Same problem. The roll servo #2983 was the problem child since new. the pitch servo #2984 was never the problem. Now, with the left screen only on, the A/P flew flawlessly.  When the right screen is booted up I get an immediate roll error on the left (new) EFIS. However, if I turn it off right away, the roll error goes away. When the left screen ALONE is booted up, configured, both servos are found but when calibrated the PITCH servo fails with a throw error. It is not a wiring problem whereas they fly OK..........on the left EFIS only. Can this be???????

Just a thought .... Did you fabricate, or wire up any of the 9 pin dsub connectors for the network cables ?
Does the wiring go to a hub or soldered connection ? :)

Jake J

pksgwfac6v

Yes again. But being an avionics tech I didn't think this 9 pin d-sub process was over my head. We used the 'supplied' Dynon test cable that came with the SkyWiew to eliminate any possible wiring anomalies and there was no change. Many times we did a pin-to-pin check over the whole run and at each short run- all OK and no errant grounds either. Each hub (2) is a printed circuit board similar to Dynon's (but not available at the time) with 3@ 9 pin d-sub connectors. All connections are soldered.

Answer to Dynon Tech: With each screen on individually, all servos are detected but the moment I turn on the opposing SkyWiew, I get a red highlighted "pitch servo (#2983) off line". With both screens booted-up and a config is performed on either, only the pitch servo (2984) is detected.

I will AGAIN check my wiring.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
My question is this:

With only one screen on, what does the NETWORK STATUS page say for the servo? Then, repeat this with just the other screen on. The system actually detects some wiring errors for you and tells you on this page.

pksgwfac6v

OK, again today, with another set of eyes, we checked all pin-to-pin, wire color-to-color and inspected each D-sub for pin push-outs. No problems found. In Network Status page on the left SV (some info here: s/n 2004, an * next to s/n, has map license code and is 18 months newer than the right SV # 1441) both servos are found. Also in the Hardware Calibration and Status pages, both servos are found and pressed-not pressed function correctly. A/C has flown with the left EFIS only and A/P functions as advertised. The problem begins the moment the right SV is turned on, the aft roll servo goes red...however, if I turn off the right SV quickly, it (the roll servo) function goes back to status ready.

The right SV (1441) does all the same but does not detect the roll servo with or without the other screen online. In the Hardware calibration page : 1 servo found (pitch) and calibrates successfully. In the Servo Status page the roll servo is NOT INSTALLED.

As for now I fly with only the left SV alive

Dynon will not return my calls. Caller ID I suspect.

jakej

Trust me HiGeez, I understand your pain but you will find the cause of the issues you are having :)

I think Dynon did say they are having a 'break' from Dec 25th through to Jan 1st  ;)

Another thought (& I may have missed this) did you try changing over the servos to prove where the problem is ?

Just trying to help - I know how difficult is is when troubleshooting, sometimes I don't see the 'wood for the trees' , not saying this is the same here.

Jake J

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon is closed until January 2nd, so there is no phone support until then. I'm surprised you don't know this since there is a message stating this when you call us, and it doesn't let you leave us a message. I'm doing my best to help you out here even though I'm on vacation and not being paid ;)

We are happy to repair or replace anything that is broken, but at this point it just isn't obvious what it is. It's a complex system with a lot going on, and this is not a problem we have seen before.

Things to try:

1) So with only one screen on, the network status on each screen is OK, and is not in yellow and does not list any wiring faults?

2) Try doing a NETWORK CONFIG from both screens while both are on. This means go to one screen, do a network config, then exit setup and do it on the other one. Can they both see the servo when you do this, or does one not see it with the other on?

3) Try powering the screens on (both) with the servos off. The once the screens are booted, turn the servos on. Any changes?

4) If possible, can you remove all other devices on the network (AHRS, EMS, ARINC) and see if the problem persists?

5) As mentioned, if it's possible to move the servos between locations, that would be interesting information (but I understand this is usually quite time consuming)

pksgwfac6v

Sorry. Frustration level peaked out yesterday. Plus head cold and I need to fly my hours off. I have no beef with Dynon. I think you have an amazing product.

To change out the servos is a time consuming ordeal of a mechanical nature. But if necessary, I will. The one servo, #2983 was a problem child since new. It never showed up on any screen, any page when first installed. When it was sent in (RMA # not handy) it was verbally told to me there was a microprocessor issue and it was updated mechanically. At lest now it is functioning on one screen.
That's was causes me to scratch my head. How can both servos be normal with one screen on but not both SV's? If it were a wiring issue would it not be mirrored with both displays?

Sorry to be a bother on your vacation. Again, sorry for the flippant attitude.

Jerry

pksgwfac6v

SOooo, back to the hanger I go determined to solve this dilemma. And low-and-behold; the last pin in a 136 pin search was pushed back, not locked into the d-sub shell. The WHT/GRN secondary data buss wire. It was the wire mounted on the servo and of course during the continuity checks, this plug was the end-of-the-line and not re-checked; it was remved for repair by Dynon and returned D-sub disassembled. When I re-installed the pins in the plug this one didn't lock into place.

Crow feathers stuck in my teeth. When Dynon says it's a wiring problem.....believe them! By why no 4/8 fault???????

HiGeez

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, it is possible to have a wiring fault that we can't detect. In these cases, the system still works though (at some level), as you have found.

Glad you finally found it. Happy new year!

jakej

SOooo, back to the hanger I go determined to solve this dilemma. And low-and-behold; the last pin in a 136 pin search was pushed back, not locked into the d-sub shell. The WHT/GRN secondary data buss wire. It was the wire mounted on the servo and of course during the continuity checks, this plug was the end-of-the-line and not re-checked; it was remved for repair by Dynon and returned D-sub disassembled. When I re-installed the pins in the plug this one didn't lock into place.

Crow feathers stuck in my teeth.  When Dynon says it's a wiring problem.....believe them!  By why no 4/8 fault???????

HiGeez

Occasionally some others could learn from your humility & post the results of their troubleshooting - sure to help us all ;D

Jake J

pksgwfac6v

Again Dynon, especially Steve:  Thanks again.  I have posted pics of the servo installation for a Cozy Mark IV and I'd be available for any other Cozy builders to explain how I did it. Leave me a message.

Happy New Year
HiGeez

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    608 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    815.4 KB · Views: 159