Altitude with Aerocruze 100 / TruTrak when driven by the HDX

Aviator305

When I flip the switch to have the Aerocruze 100 follow the Skyview HDX heading bug, the autopilot seems to neglect the altitude bug. It seems to me that it is in a 0 fpm SVS mode, so the altitude is relatively stable as long as there are no updrafts.

Is this the way the system is supposed to work? Is there anything that I can do to have it follow the altitude bug? As I type this, it just occurred to me that I have never tried changing the VS bug in the HDX. If there is anything else that I can try on my next flight, I would appreciate the input.

Thank you!

GKC Aviation

When it is synched to Skyview, does changing your altitude bug on the SkyView change the altitude selected displayed on the Aerocruze?

GKC Aviation

OK, so it is SVS (sync vertical speed)
Have you tried putting in ALT mode by pressing the ALT button on the Aerocruze?
It should then allow you to select the altitude by using the alt knob on the Dynon knob panel.
I haven't played with an Aerocruze hooked up to a Dynon, but I have installed a couple of Aerocruze 100's

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
One thing I've noticed is that it may not go into altitude hold until the proper altitude is reached. And of course it has been, but the Aerocruze doesn't realize that. Move the HDX VSI bug 100' either up or down and back to 0, and the Aerocruze will pop into Altitude Hold.

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
Also, realize that unlike the Aerocruze Track Select and Altitude Target Select, when you use the Heading Bug or Altitude Bug on the HDX, the Aerocruze will blow right through the desired heading or altitude, and wallow back and forth till it finally dampens down. It appears there is no anticipation/overshoot employed when running off the Dynon bugs.

Aviator305

The key was to hit the altitude button on the Aerocruze and then set a vertical speed on the HDX.

Yes, running off the Dynon bugs results in oscillation about heading, course, or altitude. I find this interesting because the auto pilot displays the Dynon-selected heading and altitude, but the precision is far less than when running directly from the autopilot or my Garmin 175 which I feel rival anything out there.

GKC Aviation

There is a configuration setting in the Aerocruze for the type of EFIS it is connected to.
From the config documents I have, the Aspen is PMAEFIS Type 1, and the Garmin G5 is PMAEFIS Type 2
I'm wondering what the Dynon is. I don't have an updated config matrix for the Aerocruze.
Might be worth asking Dynon?

Rhino

My guess would be the Aspen, since the Garmin setting requires the use of a GAD 29. But you might have to experiment. The Aspen choice does not allow any further setting changes, so it should be quickly apparent.

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
There is a configuration setting in the Aerocruze for the type of EFIS it is connected to.
From the config documents I have, the Aspen is PMAEFIS Type 1, and the Garmin G5 is PMAEFIS Type 2
I'm wondering what the Dynon is. I don't have an updated config matrix for the Aerocruze.
Might be worth asking Dynon?
It is neither. I've tried both, and when you select either Aspen or Garmin, it will not go into "Skyview" mode.