Amperage values "float" during engine operation

fdmich

I'm wondering if anyone has or is experiencing amperage readout "float" with the Dynon 120. 2008 Flight Design aircraft (CTLS) with Rotax engine shows constantly variable amperage readout on Dynon 120. The amp meter appears to be a "random number generator". It constantly shows first high positive amp readings, then goes to negative readings and then back to positive. Operation of equipment, landing lights, etc., don't appear to affect this "float". The voltage meter reads constant +13.4 to +13.6 and appears to be OK and the charging system appears to be charging battery with no apparent loss of charge over time. Connections have been checked at voltage regulator. Fuse to Dynon ammeter checked and a new fuse installed. Any thoughts? Thanks.

jakej

Re: Amperage values "float" during engine operatio

Mostly this is caused by a loose/poor connection, make sure they are all good - don't ask me how I know ::)

Jake J

fdmich

Jake J, there's a lot of connections. Do you have a general area to look at? Not familiar with the Dynon wiring. Are there some connectors at the Dynon that might be suspect? We have checked the connections at the regulator. Thanks.

Dick

PhantomPholly

I recently had a situation with oil temps wandering / reading too high. It was caused by a poor ground between the avionics bus and engine.

Voltage should be rock-steady. There are only three things that could cause it to actually "wander":

- Intermittent load of sufficient magnitude to lower the voltage (starter, etc.)
- Bad voltage regulator
- Bad connection

The final issue would be the Dynon itself, but you can verify this by connecting a volt meter to the same points your Dynon is connected to. If that wanders too, it's one of the above.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

The generators that are on the Rotax are known to be a bit noisy too. This isn't too uncommon an observance.

fdmich

Thanks for the replies-
Phantompholly, the "wandering" I am trying to fix is not voltage but is amperage. If it were voltage, I could do as you say which is to just put the multi-meter on the battery while engine is running to monitor voltage. This problem deals with amperage readout "floating" and I am reluctant to put a handheld ammeter inline with engine running for fear of "spiking" sensitive Dynon equipment. I will check the grounding for the Dynon - thanks for that input.

Dynon Support - you say that the Rotax generators are "noisy"?? Do you mean "noisy in regards to electrical output"? Or, do you mean "noisy as in sound"? Third question: You say "this isn't too uncommon". Do you mean it is not uncommon to see the amperage readout "float"? I can call you to discuss if possible. Thanks for your input.

Dick

jakej

Dick

An Electrolytic capacitor connected in the alternator output line will fix the 'noisy' output, B&C have a kit which is also used as an disconnect device in case of overvolt/current issues.

The use star washers etc may help your electrical connections ground and power on the engine side of firewall. Also check there is enough clamping force on the push on connectors on the alternator leads - these are often too loose.

bump - David, when customers help with the wiring it pays to double check every thing yourself ::)
Jake J

fdmich

This gives me some things to look at. Thanks for the info.

Dick