AN3 bolts through servo holes

rfinch

I tried putting the AN3 bolts through the plastic servo body (SV32). It appears the plastic body is threaded, so the AN3 bolt does not slip through, but turns with slight resistance until about half-way in. Then it hits considerable resistance--90 to 95 in-lbs, far beyond normal torque for AN3 bolts--and have not forced it through further. Is this normal?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So a few things:

First, If you're talking about any of our servos, everything you can see is metal. So first let's just make sure you're talking about one of our servos. I'm pretty sure you are though.

Next, if you're trying to put an bolt through that's not fully threaded (like the ones that are designed to attach the arm to the control surfaces in some kits), you'd meet resistance when the unthreaded shank of the bolt meets the servo case, because, well, that's as far as it goes.

Now if you are using a fully thraded bolt, and this is happening, then you might make sure that there's no damage to the bolt threads (try another). If there isn't, the threads in the servo might be damaged or defective, and you should give our tech support a shout.

rfinch

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a Dynon servo, after I posted I thought it might be metal instead of plastic but I didn't change my post.

I was trying it first with a standard AN3 bolt so the shank is not threaded. I'm at work and don't recall now if the supplied Dynon bolt is fully threaded...sounds like it should be.  I will look at it and try it this evening.

EDIT: my mistake is foolish. I had previously tried to put a long AN3 bolt through the servo body, which of course has a long shank which hits the threads. With the proper length AN3 called for in the plans and provided, everything is great.