Annunciation - BATTERY VOLTS LOW

waveflyer

Through the Dynon screen I have just carried out the annual standby battery test.
Since then the aircraft has been on charge and flown but the annunciation - BATTERY VOLTS LOW will not disappear.
Voltage in flight is shown at 14.6 and the VPX shows plenty of amps .
I've tried searching the forum but can't find a reference.
Can I read the standby voltage from the system?

jakej

Just a thought - did you have the Skyview on while charging the ships battery ?  After the battery test you should charge the backup battery by leaving the Skyview on to enable the backup charging via the SV - just charging the aircraft battery without the SV on will not do it  :)

I think it needs about 5 hrs to fully charge the backup.

Jake J

skysailor

Jake is right as usual. The backup battery will only charge when the Skyview is on and above battery voltage. The other simple solution is to go fly. Don't know about you, but for me any excuse to fly is a good one!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The warning is for the backup battery, not the aircraft battery.

You can see the backup battery voltage in the setup menu.

LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP->DISPLAY HARDWARE INFORMATION->BATTERY STATUS

As mentioned above, this will only charge with the engine running, but you did mention you had flown. It will take probably 30-45 minutes of flying for the warning to go away. The whole point of the warning is that you don't have much backup time in your battery so the warning doesn't go away right when it starts charging since it takes a few hours to fully charge.

waveflyer

Thanks all for being so helpful. I bought my RV already built with about 40 hours flown. Whilst this got me flying straight away I've missed a lot of the detail as I didn't build it.

I have flown about two and a half hours since the battery test so I can look forward to the annunciation disappearing any time now.

waveflyer

The BATTERY VOLTS LOW warning is still showing. I recently put each standby battery through the 45 minute test and they both passed.
I also replaced the main battery, Odyssey PC680 and have flown several hours.
Any idea what the solution is please?

Tigermoth

I love flying!
I conducted my first battery test which passed. It then took me about 5 hours of flying before the warning finally went away. I would get the 'caution low battery' with each start.

If you push the 7/8 buttons on SkyView with engine running on ground/flight you can select backup battery status and it'll display the current voltage level and whether its charging.
It'll finally go out when the voltage reaches about 12.25 volts as I remember.

Point is the caution is letting you know how much back-up battery time is available to support SkyView if the main power supply is lost.

I would check your backup battery status and give it time to recharge fully.

Cheers :)

mmarien

Murray M.
There is another thread that discusses the backup battery.

dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1434929885

From that I believe it takes a few hours to charge the backup battery. One of the solutions was to connect a battery charger to the airplane battery and turn on Skyview to charge the backup battery. I do that after I've done the annual battery test. My airplane battery also gets depleted during the annual from just checking things so for me it's good practice to charge it and the SV backup battery before the first post annual flight for a couple of reasons. First excessive charging amps because of a low battery always creates static on my radio, and my fuel injection is electrically driven.

waveflyer

Thanks Top Cat and mmarien for the replies. Reading the link was interesting.
I will switch the charger and screens on overnight and see what happens.
The warning I get is permanently displayed on both 10" touch screens which raises another question - does the warning refer to the battery feeding that screen or is the warning for one low battery displayed on both screens?

krw5927

I love flying!
Is there any chance the annunciation is referring to your main ship battery, and somehow the pin got reassigned (perhaps during a recent software upgrade)?

If the EMS is looking for battery voltage on EMS pin2, but pin1 is the one actually wired to sense volts, then if pin2 isn't wired to anything, would the system always annunciate volts low?  Or does the display measure system voltage on its power supply separately from the EMS?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If the EXACT text of the alert you're seeing is "BACKUP BATTERY LOW", then it's referring to the backup battery. If you're seeing "BATTERY VOLTS LOW", it's likely referring to a reading from the EMS module, which can be configured to measure voltage on EMS module pin 1 or 2. In that case, is there a widget on your EMS page that displays volts? If so, is it in the red?