AP capabilities with different configuration

I do apologize if that was asked before but I've lost track a bit, just got to that flyer <http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Autopilot/SNF%202008%20Flyer%20-%20web.pdf> where different configuration are compared. I have two question for this:

1.Horizontal GPS steering says with HS34 and capable GPS. Now I know, that my Garmin 196 does output steering commands from a flightplan so that should be enough? What is the difference here why do I need a HS34 (I guess only for an ARINC GPS?)
2. vertical GPS steering is literally the same, Garmin does ouput some vertical steering command ($PGRMH sentence), will that be interpreted by the EFIS already or only by the AP76 or not at all?

If I do understand it right, the AP74 adds external controls and the possibility of preselect (no intelligence at all) the AP76 does have intelligence (FD/turbulence mode) as well as signal processing for vertical navigation control (e.g SL-30 (must this be hooked up to the AP76 or still to the EFIS)) the HS34 is needed, if navigation does only output ARINC (e.g. a 430 or 530)

Did I get that right somehow?

Werner

BTW when can I order my capstan servos so I can get rid of my TT?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So when we say GPS Steering, we're talking specifically about the special GPSS commands that some IFR GPSes output. Other GPS models, including handhelds, have other data coming out of them that we can follow, but this isn't technically GPS Steering. Horizontal GPS Steering is a specific command that fancy GPS units like the 430 can put out to help "cut the corners" between waypoints.

While the 196 doesn't have any GPS Steering, it does output NMEA data, which means we can follow a flightplan as you say, without an HS34.

Vertical GPS Steering is a variation of the same. It's what IFR GPSs put out so that you can follow the WAAS glideslope down. Some handhelds output vertical guidance based on a descent profile you can set up. We currently display this on the HSI, and so unless we ultimately decide that VNAV should only be flyable from a "legitimate" IFR source, an AP76-equipped autopilot should be able to fly that too. Regardless of whether or not the data is there, an AP76 will be required for any VNAV capability.

The AP76 is technically just as "dumb" electronically as the AP74, but it has the interface you'll need to fly the more advanced modes. There's more software work that we need to do to support the AP76 scenarios, so, we're pricing the two modules accordingly. Note that the turbulence button and the flight director button are in flux and subject to change.

Thanks, so the AP76 intelligence is just in its software right, but it will work with any vertical navigation data coming via the EFIS and the DSAB bus to it (so SL-30 direct, Handheld Garmins direct, 430/530 via HS34)?

Now what about the capstan servos  ::)

BTW any document which describes all (current planned) features of the AP76?

Thanks a lot

Werner

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Capstan servos are up next. We don't have a firm date on them, but they're coming soon.

The AP76 still has some features that are up in the air. Pretend that you haven't seen the bottom row of buttons - those may change. IAS hold is a feature under consideration for one of them.