AP Control from D100 - no AP74

dstclair

I'm just about to install the AP without the external AP74. It seems it will just cost me a couple more button pushes (other than pre-arming) to do what I want. Given my panel space, I'm fine with the trade-off.

One thing I can't figure out from the documentation is whether I must set the HDG/TRK bug manually if engaging in these modes. In other words, assume I'm flying along on the HDG (or TRK) I want. Can I just engaged the AP (from the AP menu) in HDG (or TRK) mode and maintain my HDG/TRK? Or do I need to pull up the 'BUGS' menu and click through to my current HDG (or TRK)? Also, do the BUG values default to zero or when I pull them up are they defaulted to my current HDG/TRK?

Another unrelated question, is there a setting that would have the D-100 power-up with the menus up? Or, better still, a setting which specifies the menu to display on power-up?

Alfio

In our plane, we just hold the autopilot engage button for 2 seconds, and the autopilot engages with present altitudue and heading. If you wanted to modify heading, then you would have to fiddle with the bugs via your soft-keys.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What Alfio was saying would work (using the disconnect switch as a hold-to-engage works). Without the AP74 though, the AP always syncs to the current heading and altitude when those axes are engaged. The interface to do anything else gets a bit cumbersome. There isn't a way to have the menus up at boot, but the press/hold of disconnect gets you some of what you want on that front.

dstclair

Actually, this should work fine for me. Since the AP syncs to the current HDG/TRK which would be my norm, any tweaks to the HDG/TRK shouldn't be too bad pressing the +/- buttons. In general, I'll be going off the NAV anyway.

PhantomPholly

One extra note - if you happen to have the HS34, the knobs on that device can also be used to set things like course, altitude, etc. for the AP.

Never mind if you don't have that...

dstclair

Just so I'm clear; if I hold the disengage button for 2 seconds, the AP syncs to current altitude and current HDG (as opposed to TRK or NAV)?

JR

Its very easy to do it all directly on the D100 - 2 presses on same button opens menu and engages, one more press switches source
Inside same menu is Bugs section and can sync with current track here too
JR