AP lockup

Hooterfly

I love flying!
2008 AMD601 CH XL w:180,100,AP74. TT 160HRS Have never used AP. Recently pulled plane out of hanger, stick was in full forward position and locked in place. Inspection showed bell crank had travelled over center locking the connecting rod in place.The immediate fix was to remove the rod from the servo. Any suggestions on how to prevent this travel in the future? Thanks

dabear

That would be an installation issue. The installation manual clearly states that the connection should not allow it to go over center.
(Install doc Rev P; page 10-3)

I would guess that it would require changing the servo location, or the connecting rod design or both.

rvator51

Bear is right about the installation manual. Basically, the hole in the servo arm or the hole in the bellcrank that is used for the connecting rod between the servo and the bellcrank needs to be relocated to a different position to allow less travel on the servo arm. Moving the hole on the servo arm inward will accomplish this. Also my servo came with a stop bracket on it that keeps the arm from overcentering. Is yours removed?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This appears to be a factory-built LSA. In that case, you really need to work with AMD to figure this out and get the install done correctly, since you can't make changes to the aircraft yourself. A correctly installed servo cannot go over center and also has a limiting bracket to prevent it from going over center even if other failures occur.