Approach Plates

flickroll

This may have already been covered, but in any event....does Dynon plan to have viewable approach plates on the Skyview system?  If so, would they be geo-referenced?  Thanks

PhantomPholly

We are hopeful, but they have not yet committed.

Worse - they are talking about using Jepp ($$$)

flickroll

Jepp would be a HUGE blunder on Dynon's part. Jepp charting is EXPENSIVE and the company is monopolistic.  I used Jepp back when I was running a Garmin GMX200 in my Bonanza.  The Jepp charts were nice, but just not worth the expense over NACO charts, especially for those who pay for them out of their own pocket.  I would not use approach charts on the Skyview system if they are Jepp.  Garmin has announced geo-referenced charts for the 696 later this year....I'll just go that route if Dynon insists on using Jepp.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
No decision has been made on which plates to use, or when. Too early for that. If possible, we would like to offer customers a choice.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

flickroll

Thanks for the reply Robert. I'm glad to hear NACO charts would likely be an option. Best regards

Jim

skysailor

If it is not possible to offer a choice, count me among those who will not use Jepps.

PhantomPholly

I knew I could stir up a hornet's nest if I worked at it!

:D

Ya, I'm no fan of Jepp either. It's really kinda stupid when we already pay the government to make this information available for free...

flickroll

It's really kinda stupid when we already pay the government to make this information available for free...

I agree....although I do like the format of Jepps better....but it ain't worth the money!!

RudiGreyling

Gents, please remember that the Skyview need to cater for an International customer base as well. I understand NACO is only for USA.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Rudi, It is forefront in my mind. I think this is where the false rumor got started (concerning Jepp only plates); me insisting that we need both US and non-US solutions.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

RudiGreyling

What - other countries have approach plates too?

;)

He He Naughty You,

I guess depends on the solution Dynon comes up with, if they make it user downloadable/configarable you can assign your own, no matter what the source. But IF you want guaranteed automatic assignments then thinking global/international gets a bit troublesome.

Let's hope for the best!

Rudi
South Africa!

PhantomPholly

Yeah - you'd think that ICAO would have created an XML standard for the plate descriptors and layout. But that's crazy talk, thinking that an International Standards Body would actually develop International Standards...

::)