ARCINC-429 with GP175 not use serial port?

Riseric

Interesting topic,
I'm considering installing a GPS 175 connected through ARINC to Skyview which seems simple enough.
What about connecting a second GPS 175? (for redundancy, ie: Canadian IFR equipment regs)
Can it be connected to the same ARINC using the RX 2 A/B pins 22 & 10 and TX A/B pins 24 & 12 ?
What about the serial TX to RX pin 3, unneeded for the second unit or could/should it be connected in parallel?
Or a second ARINC is needed ?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The supported configuration here via a 2nd ARINC module. They each then connect to their own module independently, which preserves the redundancy you're looking for.

Frank3

Numerous questions re: Garmin GPS175/Dynon System interface. Believe my wiring/pin connections are accurate. I would very much appreciate verification of GPS175 settings, especially. Thanks in advance!
Looking to use GPS175 for ARNIC link, provide WAAS data to Transponder & ACK ELT.

GPS175 to ARNIC

* Have connected the five wires for GPS175 to ARNIC per SV Install Guide - Rev AG, Fig 155.
This diagram connects GPS175 pin #9 (RS-232 Tx) to ARNIC pin #3. I take it this connection provides the input to Dynon system, in general. I understand this to be GPS 175 serial "Port 1 Tx", as used in GPS175 config window "Interfaced Equipment - RS 232".

* Have configured the GPS175 as follows:
- 175 screen "GPS Interfaced Equipment - ARNIC 429"
-- Setting ARNIC Rx Port 1 -- Format "EFIS/ADC"; Speed "High"
-- Setting ARNIC Rx Port 2 -- "Off"
-- Setting ARNIC Tx Port 1 -- Format "GAMA/Format 3"; Speed "High"; SDI "Common"
- 175 Screen "Interfaced Equipment - RS 232"
-- Setting -- Port 1 "Aviation Output 1"

GPS175 to SV Transponder 261

* Have connected GPS175 pin 7 (RS-232 Tx) to Transponder pin #3 as Certified GPS Source for ADS-B In. (1.21 K resistor installed in circuit)

* Have configured the GPS175:
- 175 Screen. "Interfaced Equipment - RS 232"
-- Setting -- Port 3 "ADS-B+ Format 1"

GPS175 to ACK ELT

* Have connected GPS175 pin 8 (RS 232 Tx) to ACK ELT

*Have configured the GPS175:
- 175 Screen "Interfaced Equipment - RS 232"
-- Setting -- Port 2 "Aviation Output 2"

ab1900

I agree. I have a Dynon 3 screen EFIS in my RV10 with a Garmin GTN 650 for a VOR receiver, primarily used for an ILS, an IFR GPS and a backup com. The GTN 650 is capable of presenting an amazing amount of infirmation, but the screen is too small for any of it to be useful.
I’d like to find out more about the info avbl on the GTN650 & how you’ve set it up. I’m testing the IFR out now & had trouble intercepting the vertical path on an RNAV.

rjones560

I’d like to find out more about the info avbl on the GTN650 & how you’ve set it up. I’m testing the IFR out now & had trouble intercepting the vertical path on an RNAV.
The navigation portion of the GTN650 interfaces with the Dynon through the ARINC429 module. The HSI can display DYNON NAV Garmin GPS NAV and Garmin VOR nav. To use vertical navigation on an ILS or GPS approach VNAV must be selected. You can’t select VNAV until the vertical guidance window next to the HSI displays.