Autolpilot

URI

I have just installed the 6.0 version on my SV 1000. Since then the autopilot drifts 5 to 10 degrees each side of the track all the time instead of following a straight line. This didn't happen with the previous version of software.

johnsteichen

You can't just install the software you need to find tune it using the autopilot flow charts

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Theoretically if it was working OK before, it should still work/ But we need a lot more information to be helpful:

What software version did you come from?
What airplane is this in?
What autopilot UI are you using (simplified or expert?)
What roll mode were you using (HDG, TRK, HSI, GPSS, ROLL)
If you are trying to use HSI mode, what GPS or NAV radio are you using?
Have you verified the shear screw is not broken?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
johnS's suggestion is a great one too. Have you used the Autopilot In-Flight Tuning Guide?

URI

I was using 5.1
Dynamic WT9 UL
Simplified
I just used track and HSI modes with the same result
THe HSI was using the Skyview GPS. I also have installed a GNS430 but I haven´t tried yet as GPS or VOR
I don't know what is the shear screw is, but one or two days earlier it was working just fine with the old software.
I also didn't tried to use the Autopilot In-Flight Tuning Guide
Is there an online guide for the new version, how to use it?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, all of the documentation for SkyView is updated for every major software release and is available at docs.dynonavionics.com. The pilots user guide has updated use instructions, and the autopilot in-flight tuning guide is an entirely new document that you should find helpful.

You shouldn't try to use the GNS430 before you've solved the fundamental performance issues.

If the shear screw were broken, you'd be able to move the stick freely with ease on the axis that the shear screw is broken on when the AP is engaged. Try this on the ground. Engage the AP, then see if there is resistance on both axes from the autopilot (ie, it's actually controlling the control surfaces)

vcordero

I love flying!
I used the autopilot with great success before 6.0. Dynon please go back to the old 'simple' autopilot that was much better in performance and use.
Thx,
VC at SFB