Automatic Pilot Roll Mode Upon Engaging Autopilot

rogersmart

I understand that when engaged, the autopilot uses roll mode to maintain the current roll attitude to prevent unexpected deviations. I would like to see a small deviation to this AP behavior.
When taking off, once stabilized in a standard climb on runway heading, I will engage the autopilot. As expected the plane will continue fly in the same vertical and horizontal attitude as when the AP was engaged. However it is difficult to have the plane at exactly 0 degree roll at the instant I engage the AP. I think a good enhancement would be, if the roll (bank) angle is 5 degrees or lower in either direction, the roll hold is set to 0 degrees as the intent was probably to fly straight anyway. If the Bank is greater than 5 degrees then the roll angle is maintained. I think AP behavior would beneficial and would still not result in an unexpected deviation. If this was made as a setup option, the OPTION could be to set the maximum bank angle that resets to zero, 0 being no reset or 1-5 as maximum roll angle that is reset to zero degrees. This would cover different individual preferences and airplane characteristics.

airguy

I'll second this - I understand the logic behind holding the current roll attitude, but I would really like to have the ability to have a default roll attitude angle that, if exceeded then it is maintained, and if not then it commands to zero. "Level" function will drive the wings level but also the vertical speed - not advantageous during a climbout.

RobertHamilton

Staff member
Thank you for the good feedback and idea. I have entered it as a new feature to our product managers.