Autopilot dragging on stick

rlallen1

I love flying!
Ever since I installed my dynon a/p servos I have noticed considerable drag on the stick...clicking and clutchy feeling...Is that normal?  I do not notice any drag while flying.  But certainly while on the ground I do...thanks.  other than that the a/p is working great.

hmanvel

I had the same experience when first installing the #42 servos. You can feel tiny steps when you move the stick. I questioned it and learned that it is normal. This is a Rutan Defiant, with a short side stick. Cannot tell a difference in flight. Love the system.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, this is normal. In fact, your experiences prove out the design intent.

Having the motor "always connected" to the arm reduces mechanical complexity - less mechanisms inside to do things like engage and disengage the drivetrain reduce the opportunity for things to fail in a way that leaves the control system vulnerable in some way (the shear screw acts as the ultimate mechanical backup and will yield if something catastrophic has happened inside the servo).

The trade-off for this design is the drag on the ground, but, as you've both proven out in your own experiences - you can't tell once air loads are acting on the control surface.