Avidyne IFD410

d3mac123

Anyone who has experience with Avidyne IFD410? I am trying to decided which route to take (GPS175 or IFD410).

Also, any ideas where I can find the IFD installation manual? Will I need a specific tray to install it?

Thanks!

Alex

CanardMulti

Anyone who has experience with Avidyne IFD410? I am trying to decided which route to take (GPS175 or IFD410).

Also, any ideas where I can find the IFD installation manual? Will I need a specific tray to install it?

Thanks!

Alex

Hi Alex-

Avidyne does not put their installation manuals on line, at least for the general public. If you contact their support folks by email or phone and identify yourself as a homebuilder, they will send you one for free via email PDF. The manuals are very thorough, with wiring diagrams for a wide cross section of installations. As stated above, it is designed to be a slide in replacement for the G 430 so any 430 tray will work.

As to the decision to go Garmin or Avidyne, consider the 175 is only certified for planes up to 6,000 lbs. The Avidyne can be installed in far more planes; I don't know the why of it. 90% + of the 175's functions are touch screen only, while 95% of the 410's functions have multiple ways to be accessed via touch screen, knob, and/or button - pilot's choice. If you have ever had to reprogram a full ATC reroute in turbulence, you'll appreciate the difference. Also, check out Avidyne's *FREE* IFD 100 iPad app. Garmin has nothing like it.

Ken

d3mac123

Hi Alex-

Avidyne does not put their installation manuals on line, at least for the general public. If you contact their support folks by email or phone and identify yourself as a homebuilder, they will send you one for free via email PDF. The manuals are very thorough, with wiring diagrams for a wide cross section of installations. As stated above, it is designed to be a slide in replacement for the G 430 so any 430 tray will work.

As to the decision to go Garmin or Avidyne, consider the 175 is only certified for planes up to 6,000 lbs. The Avidyne can be installed in far more planes; I don't know the why of it. 90% + of the 175's functions are touch screen only, while 95% of the 410's functions have multiple ways to be accessed via touch screen, knob, and/or button - pilot's choice. If you have ever had to reprogram a full ATC reroute in turbulence, you'll appreciate the difference. Also, check out Avidyne's *FREE* IFD 100 iPad app. Garmin has nothing like it.

Ken
Thanks for the info Ken. I am considering all those things. My only factor at this moment is the price difference ($4.4k for the 175 against who knows how much for the IFD410, as I couldn't find any website with the price for this device).

n28et

I love flying!
Alex,

I spoke to Avidyne at OSH this past summer. Going from memory the IFD410 is somewhere around $10k. That said, comparing the two units is apples to oranges, as the IFD410 is much more than IFR approved GPS navigator. For me, and what I plan to do, the GPS175 fits the bill at a fraction of the cost.

Erich