Backup Battery

cfiidon

I have a backup battery installed in my D180.  I suppose it sat idle for about 3 months.  The battery appears fully discharged as my D180 recycles during engine start and when the master (power) is removed... no standby warning screen.

How long does it take to recharge the battery once power is supplied?  Is there a way to check the status of the charger?  Is there a way to determine if the battery is bad?

Thanks in advance

Don

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
10+ hours. When the "I" line of the voltmeter EFIS info item is above 16V, it's charged. To check if it's good, charge it by applying master power to it for a day (hooking up a battery charger to the airplane battery is a good way to do this), then simply do a rundown test to make sure it keeps the unit alive for at least 1.5 hours, you're good.

cfiidon

I have checked the "I" voltage and it is 16. When I remove master power the unit shuts down rather than switching to battery power. When i apply master and external power, then remove master power it gives me a warning; if acknowledged it remains on until I remove "E" power then it shuts off. How do I get it to go to internal battery power? I recall it used to operate this way but something has changed it seems.

Don

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That sounds like an issue with either the battery, or possibly the unit itself. Get in touch with our technical support staff at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com for further help.