basic navigations Skyview cannot cope with

Axel

Among the many basic navigation situations Skyview cannot cope with, there is a particularly annoying one:

Say, your flight plan ends at an airport with 2 crossing runways. Normally, some 10 miles out, the controller tells you which of the 4 finals to use and, more often than not, clears you to a remote base leg or directly to the final.

That's when your HSI - nice, but not really needed en route - starts to become interesting: intercepting that final course in marginal visibility.

And that's exactly the point where the Skyview HSI becomes useless - unless you happen to have guessed the runway in use in your flight plan.

A simple OBS Knob, disconnecting the HSI from (or changing) the last flight plan leg, would have solved that common problem in a way we are used to with real HSIs.

But I know what the answer will be:
When you need an HSI, install a real one. And don't forget: you are flying VFR!

jc2da

Yes, i do the same exact thing: tune the OBS course to match the runway heading when landing for better situational awareness.

It would be great to have a solution for this. Not sure what the "cleanest" solution is though.

Carl_Froehlich

Not sure I understand mixing VFR and IFR procedures. If IFR the HSI is displaying the appropriate approach. If you have an ARINC set up the moving map is also displaying the approach - a nice aid if directed to intercept. If VFR and vectored to intercept base or final then the moving map and/or looking out the window works.
If the request is to display an extended runway on the moving map then I agree.
Carl

Axel

looking out the window works

I love the "look at the map" type of responses when I point out the shortcomings of Skyview navigation. They are only surpassed by "look out the window". I am waiting for the advice "stay down on the ground" ...  :)

Seriously, Carl, please understand, en route I can look at the map: first there is a line drawn, second I have time, third I am at high altitude.
And Skyview displays a needle.

In a (VFR-)approach there is no line drawn, I have few time, I am at low altitude.

And Skyview displays a useless needle: the one of my last leg.

aerofurb

Axel, please excuse me but perhaps if you phrase your thoughts more carefully, I for one would be interested to read your ideas rather than gloss over them.

Starting off your posts in such a negative fashion towards Skyview all the time makes me wonder if you should have bought someone else's kit.

By all means suggest means to make it even better than we all find it (hard to believe it could be made better ;)) but slating Skyview as 'useless' comes across as all rather aggressive.

All in my humble opinion.... :-*

Axel

aerofurb,
ignore my direct style, just concentrate on the facts, which I think I described clearly:
When you arrive at an airport, and the HSI would be most useful, you cannot use it anymore, contrary to a normal HSI.

Perhaps Dynon should not call their device HSI, but "flight plan deviation indicator" or so, to avoid confusion.

If you read my threads carefully, all critics is accompanied by constructive proposals. In this case the proposal was:

Please Dynon, add to the many knob functions the function "OBS". Selecting OBS, allows the knob to change the HSI course from the current leg course to something else.

If you have factual comments, aerofurb, I will be happy to discuss them with you.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I think what you're asking for here is something we actually have on our todo list that we've called "virtual VOR" thus far (but probably is a poor, too retro name :). This basically lets you anchor to your next waypoint or maybe the ultimate destination and then rotate the guidance line around it, altering the previously-programed waypoint to waypoint course. So in this case, you'd set it to the runway heading, and then the HSI basically shows you deflection from the inbound course. If that's what you're after we're with you and want to do it too.

RVDan

I love flying!
Excuse me for possibly not understanding the OP, or perhaps even SV, however the HSI seems to me to act just like a mechanical HSI.  The OBS on HSI's is called the CRS knob which SV has.  It only works as an OBS when navigating from a Nav source. i believe that this is the same as a mechanical HSI in that OBS should have no effect on the CDI deviation when navigating by GPS.

If your intent is to transition from GPS navigation to localizer navigation this is very possible, just not as a part of the GPS flight plan.  If you want to insert a new GPS leg into the flight plan that would simulate the localizer, I think you would be looking for a virtual VOR. 

Dynon, is it possible to include VOR/ILS into a Skyview flight plan without an external FMS type navigator like the GNS 430?

Axel

So in this case, you'd set it to the runway heading, and then the HSI basically shows you deflection from the inbound course. If that's what you're after we're with you and want to do it too.

That's exactly what I (and probably many others) need, thank you.
Impatient to get it...

jc2da

It sounds like my comment isn't exactly the OP's situation i guess.

I recently flew into Mojave with 3 pavements. I was told report 2 mile base to runway XX. The CRS arrow helps me try and align myself with the correct runway with the big CRS arrow aligned with the runway.

However, even with this help, i was surprised at how tricky it was identifying the correct runway. My home field is a single runway, so I don't get much practice at this with multiple runways.

60av8tor

So in this case, you'd set it to the runway heading, and then the HSI basically shows you deflection from the inbound course. If that's what you're after we're with you and want to do it too.

That's exactly what I (and probably many others) need, thank you.
Impatient to get it...

Want not need... I understand what Jchang is saying.  After flying helicopters for years with an HSI, I agree it is nice to spin the course deviation indicator to runway heading to get a visual to set up for a 45' to the downwind.  I did miss this when getting my FW add ons with only a DG.  I have to say, though, that I don't believe it is a huge leap in situational awareness to set the heading bug to runway heading and imagine a straight line behind it bisecting the HSI (or whatever clever name the OP had for it ::) )

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I know it's not the same as having the nice broad bars on the HSI, but remember there's also the heading bug in the meantime. :)

lindsayj

You can also fly so that your GPS bearing to the destination waypoint lines up to the runway heading. And then fly so that track stays on that bearing... somewhat like flying ADF but with the needle on the magnetic HSI instead of its own gage. In so doing you don't need to fiddle with a knob, just your brain. Safest way in your marginal VFR situation would probably be an instrument approach for which SV provides very well. ;) Jack L.